Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 nightrain with loud clunk in steering neck anyone else with same problem and how was it fixed???

Old 01-29-2006, 06:41 PM
nightrain05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 nightrain with loud clunk in steering neck anyone else with same problem and how was it fixed???

Bike is a 05 nightrain W/ 2700 miles although the problem has been there since day one. Dealer has tried to correct it twice once by retourqing the nut on the steering head with no success. Then at 1000 mile service they dropped the forks off bike and tried to press the bearings onto neck further as per harleys service bulletin.Both attempts did nothing towards making the noise go away. Dealer has called the MOCO they said to disassemble the front end and take note of anything that seems out the ordinary??? Have yet to take back for this third attempt I was hoping someone here has had this problem taken care of successfully and could offer some suggestions so I can offer some ideas to the dealers service manager. Which by the way he has ackowledged the problem which is a plus and is willing to make all atempts at correcting. I just want it taken care of sooner than later to avoid any possible damage to steering neck, bearing ect;
Your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed thanks in advance.

Scott

Old 01-29-2006, 06:47 PM
nutsy
Tourer
Default RE: 05 nightrain with loud clunk in steering neck anyone else with same problem and how was it fixed???

keep all records give them 1 more shot,if not corrected get a lemon law lawyer. get a new bike or money back. i did with a new car,was really easy.my problem was a noise in the rack & pinion steering.after 3 attempts with noise still there lawyer got money back at no legal costs to me.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:02 PM
nightrain05
Cruiser
Default RE: 05 nightrain with loud clunk in steering neck anyone else with same problem and how was it fixed???

Thanks Nutsy I like the bike and breifly looked into that option just in case dealer tried to give me the run around and I found that in pennsylvania lemon law does'nt apply motorcycles.Go figure!!!! I called the states attorney general office they said lemon law not applicable to Motorcycles. Riders F*ed again by 'OUR" government.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:33 PM
nutsy
Tourer

you gotta be --ittin me. dam that sucks big time.not only you cant get money back but dealrt gotta know this too. keep on em if they cant fix yours tell em you want a whole new front end .hey were neighbors,im from scranton.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:40 PM
XXXRacing
Road Warrior

I had the same issue. Dealer tried fixing it a few times, they finally resolved it by adjusting the fallaway (Does that sound right).

Old 01-30-2006, 10:27 PM
NiteTrain05
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't experienced anything like you described, but have to comment on a great choice of bike.....and a slightly unoriginal choice of screen name[8D]
CHuck

Old 01-31-2006, 01:37 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,750 Likes on 766 Posts
Default RE: 05 nightrain with loud clunk in steering neck anyone else with same problem and how was it fixed

Mine clunks too, then I get the stem nut adjusted and it goes away for a while... then comes back. Apparently, it's something the Wide Glide front-ends are prone to. It doesn't seem to affect the handling or operation of the bike. Also, I ride on a fair number of pretty badly busted up roads, and I'm sure that contributes to the problem.

I hope that one day HD comes out with a permanent fix for this.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-31-2006, 12:13 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 05 nightrain with loud clunk in steering neck anyone else with same problem and how was it fixed

Might seem like a silly suggestion, but pull off the cover and tighten the steering nut yourself. Your guys at the HD shop may not be torquing it up enough. Sorry, I'm not too scientific but my Standard had the same problem. I put it on my lift, tightened the nut about and 1/8th of a turn with a crescent wrench and the problem went away. That was 8,000 miles ago. Only thing to watch for is free travel of the handle bars. As long as they are moving freely, you'll be OK.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

Scott

I have seen many times where the dealer will give you lip service and tell you they did something when they didn't do it. A large number of these bikes do this clunking as did mine also. The torque specs that were origionally used were too low, they finally realized it and increased them to 100 lbs. I re torqued mine and it solved the problem immediately. I used 70 lbs as I thought the 100 lbs was a bit excessive. The origional torque was in the area of 35-40 lbs.

Here's a post to give you more input... https://www.hdforums.com/m_90127/tm.htm

Old 01-31-2006, 05:08 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had that problem on my 03 Train. Turned out it was the cap nut on top of the left fork.

The Stealer would fix it for me... for 72 bucks an hour... hahahahaha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 nightrain with loud clunk in steering neck anyone else with same problem and how was it fixed???