Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Deluxe needs more power - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
ajdrr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Deluxe needs more power - Suggestions?

Hi All,

I have an 07 Deluxe all stock, except for the pretty bits. It's been almost a year and I want more perfromance from it. I looked at the Power Commander and Thundermax, but it seems they are useless without new exhaust and high flow air input.

I am looking for some advice and this seems like the right place. I am not too interested in making it louder, just a quicker response with more accelleration and less decel popping. I don't want to do cams or heads or anything drastic yet, just something simple.

What are the best things to do as a first cut in performance improvement?

From what I have learned so far reading this forum, it seems that the Screamin' Eagle pipes, High Flow air intake and Thundermax may give me a good increase in power. And any one of those alone will not do anything. I need more airflow, more exhaust and an EFI tuner together? seems logical, but what are the realities?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Andy

Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 07 Deluxe needs more power - Suggestions?

Stage 1 is the easiest, cheapest, power increase for the dollar. The bike's main emission controls are done by leaning out the gas and air to get the bike to pass emission standards but it strangles the bike. Stage 1 tunes the bike for power, not emissions. When I had it done on my RK, the bike revved freely to redline. Stock, the bike seemed to run out of power fast, around 3000 rpms.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 PM
ajdrr
Intermediate

Sorry, but I don't know the terminology well yet. I searched this site and there seems to be a difference of opinion about what stage 1 means. Do you mean just the SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner kit and a remap? I assume the new map must be installed in the EFI by HD. Or do you mean stage 1 as in SE Slips-ons, SE A/C and HD remap or SERT?

If you mean only the A/C, will I need a new EFI map when I put on exhausts? What does a remap cost?
I don't need extreme performance, just would like to take the first bolt-on steps without real engine work. Something I can do that I can add to.

I don't want to be a pain, just want to benefit from all of you pros who have been there before.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Waltman
Tourer

In addition to barjbar's comments, you do not need a whole new exhaust, I just did mine this past weekend, with Rush slipons,the bike is louder andcar alarms go off asI go by. Big Brother still does not check emissions on bikes, sothe Oxygen sensors can be removed.My Fat Boy runs a lot better, is more responsive, revs higher, also no pinging, less heat build up and the engine doesn't struggle to reach higher speeds asI whack open the throttle. Just don't be afraid to open it up, these engines do not need babying.

To get the performance you are looking for, you need 3 things:

1 - PCIII, Fuel Pack or similar(programmed for your specs)
2 - Your choice ofexhaust (better) or slipons (good)
3 - Your choice of air intake (K&N, Big Sucker, Screaming Eagle, etc.)

Keeping the stock exhaust will hold back the performance you are looking for. Good luck.