Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Wind and Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fat Boy Wind and Buffeting

I need some advice. I'm riding a 2007 Fat Boy and my only complaint is the wind blast that comes up from the forks and gas tank. I like to run with a windshield on longer highway trips, but the windcauses a buffeting on my head and ears that gives me double vision.

Does anyone have any thoughts on lower wind deflectors? HD has the chrome ones, but I'm not sure if I like the look. Does anyone run with some aftermarket lowers they like?

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Waltman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fat Boy Wind and Buffeting

I alsoridean 07 FB and got it mainly to "cruise" to work, no need of stinking windshield. Now I moved too far away [:@]and have the HD king size windshield whichdoes an excellent job on protecting you from the wind blast, but as you have noticed, redirects the windto come up from down under, the head buffeting makes my teeth rattle and wind noise is unbearable, for which I also wear ear plugs all the time.

Some people swear by those HD chrome monstrosities (yuck). Others wear a vest with flaps that go up to stop the wind going up past your chest, but you still get the blast on your legs, and Irather wearmy leather jacket. I am leaning towards windshield lowers from Memphis Shades http://www.memphisshades.com/harley_lowers.shtml.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM
renoa18
Tourer

i just run a standardhd windshield. I dont have that problem. When I dont run a windshield I have no problem but I am running a corbin seat that sits lower than stock hd seat. I also am 6'

Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep your knees against the tank. In the summer spread them.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tk353

that's the least costly way..... I like the HD monstrosities

Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

I have the moustache engine guard on my FB. When on the highway I tend to ride with my legs across the top the guard. This does a great job of blocking the updraft you're talking about. Another solution I've considered, but haven't ponyed up the bucks to try, it snapping vinyl 'cover's over the open part of the moustache guard. I understand this really cuts down on the updraft. I don't know what it is about the design of the FB that causes it, but I know exactly what you mean. I've never experienced double vision personally, but I know it can be damned annoy on a long ride.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

On my FXSTC with the tall HD quick detach windshield, I get the wind from underneath too. I can ride with my knees close to the tank, but found that it "hazes" the black insert paint on the dura cell paint job. That blows. I don't do that anymore, just take the wind.

ORIGINAL: tk353

Old 03-09-2008, 09:39 AM
johngp7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on my 2006 Fatboy, I added the lowers from Memphis Shades and that took care of most of it.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 AM
CoyoteJoe
Banned

I've got the wind deflectors also, and I wasn't happy with the look - but it sort of grows on you, now I like them - theyre my chrome "fangs" now! Originally I was pretty happy with the air flow, except in fall when it gets windier (and I might be mistaken about this since its my first season with the Fatboy). My brother helped me install them, and he scratched his head and said he can't see how these will work, cause they are so narrow and they are like an inch from the forks. I tried a series of experiments, and I discovered it breaks the main force, but it lets a little air by (for cooling maybe?). Previously, I couldn't wear a dew rag on the highway, the updraft would loosen it and it would creep up slowly. With the "Fangs" on, I put on a baseball cap and started riding around the neighborhood, on quiet streets (in case it fell off I could retrieve it safely). To my surprise I got up to 50mph and cap wasn't coming off, but I could feel some air still moving across my face. The deflectors don't take all the wind blast out, but they take the majority out.

I also have the vinyl engine guard chaps for the moustashe engine guard, but I haven't tried them together with the wind deflectors. I have ran with them in the previous fall, for cold weather riding,and I was warmer riding the bike, and i didn't have to wear my leather chaps to keep warm - so I think it was redirecting the wind and the absence of wind was keeping me warmer. I like the engine guard chaps, and I'm going to put my vinyl setup for sale on eBay soon, and I'm orderinga custom made set made out of leather. The chaps go on/off very easily, and the deflectors don't take that long to put on/off also. There is still a lot of salt and icearound here, but soon I can ride the bike and I think I'll got it spin with the engine guard chaps and see how it works in combination with the wind deflectors.

I also checked with Cee Bailey, they make aircraft quality windshields for motorcycles, and I am thinking about getting a windshield 1" wider than stock to see how that works.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:22 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Fangs. I never thought of that. I run em about 4 mo's out of the year. SometimesI ride in the VERY early AM, so they help. The look does grow on you. I have chrome fork lwr's and the chr eng guard. They don't stand out that much. From a distance it just makes it look bigger (wider) in front. They do work though.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy Wind and Buffeting