Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&S Lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default J&S Lift Question

For you guys that have a J&S lift, do you use the “frame protectors” (#94675-99) on your Softail? I was hoping the J&S lift would not need these frame protectors, but when I aligned the front lift table right after the frame bend and just behind the frame tab where crash bars could be mounted, the rear lift table is right under the shocks and I don’t want to put the weight of the bike on the shocks. What do you guys do?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: J&S Lift Question

I heard that it would not hurt and you could lift it as is but I bought the frame protectors just to be safe. I cut the length about 6-7 inches and then I ripped them down on a table saw so that it just clears the shocks. I left about a 1/4 inch of meat on the bottom of the frame protectors. Works great with just the 2 rear frame protectors on and stilla little clearanceto roll the jack under.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:02 PM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Heritage I use two hard rubber pads placed on the rear jack rail to get the clearance needed.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:45 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

Charlie,
Thanks for the feedback.

Did you get the pads from J&S? I ask because Cheryl at J&S emailed me this morning and said even though they believe the shocks can withstand the weight of the bike, for customers like me who are concerned about damaging the shocks, they send these customers free "pads" and she said she would send some "pads" out to me today, so I don't have to buy the $39 dollar Harley frame protectors.

As a temporary fix, I was thinking to just duck tape two small pieces of 1/2"x1" wood to the rear rail. Guess I'll wait and see if the pads show up from J&S this week or not.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM
voodoochild
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifted mine a few times without the pads, didnt seem to damage the shocks any.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 07 Fatboy and a J&S Lift. Concerned about the same thing, I called J&S on Sunday (two days ago). They are a small family run business who provide OUTSTANDING customer service. I know this because when my jack was delivered, UPS showed it had been delivered, but without a signature, but I had not received it. I had called J&S and they offered to send out another jack (!) while they were dealing with UPS to see where my shipment actually was. Can you imagine! Anyway, the UPS guy had dropped it off at my next-door neighbors porch and they were away on vacation and so it sat. Finally, they came home and called me and I was able to reach J&S in time to have them cancel the second shipment. But to offer to send a second jack, wow!

Anyway, but I digress... In setting up the jack, I noticed the same issue with the shocks and called them this Sunday almost half expecting them to pick up the phone in their house. Left a message though and sure enough they called back that same day (on a Sunday around dinner time). They said it is safe to lift a softtail even though the rear of the jack is in contact with the shocks. They said they had demo lifted their Heritage hundreds and hundreds of times at shows and rallies with no damage whatsoever to the shocks or their function. He said the HD frame protectors are not needed, but if I was still squeamish, he would send out the pads mentioned in the prior post but assured me they were not necessary.

Hope this helps and anybody has any doubt about how to run a company, provide absolutely the best in customer service and support, look no further than J&S Jacks. And (rant on) they are just the kind of business America needs and Walmart kills off. Yea, go there for your (rhetorical) cheap prices, but it's the "Mom and Pops" that Walmart kills off while you're saving that 24 cents (rant off).

Ride Safe

Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

All,
Thanks for answering my post!
Jack

Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Harleypilot
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got a J&S last week and yea I use the frame protectors. I'm just not crazy about lifting all that weight on the shocks.I think any pad or piece of wood would do the same. The jack rolls under my standard with the protectors on, with no problem.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Been lifting the wifes Deluxe for almost 2 years with the J&S Jack...No protectors or Pads...NO Problems.. Even left it on the jack while the paining was being done...Still no problems...

Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Could someone provide me with a phone number, or better yet, a link with a picture in it (hopefully) so I can get some info about their jack??? I've been wanting a jack and replied to a post a few days ago about Sears jacks that someone had bought. I've been warned to pass on the sears jacks.
Thanks regulators!

Quick Reply: J&S Lift Question