Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fxst fork leg scratches

Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 AM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fxst fork leg scratches

I'm feeling sick about now. I've got a military sticker on the left lower leg and I was stupid enough to let the guy take it off for me. I know, I know, I should have stopped the guy and done it myself but for whatever reason I didn't. My question is this, is the lower leg coated from the factory? I mean do they polish it and then spray something on it to protect it? It looks really bad, but it looks like there are scratches in some coating. My hope is that someone can help me. I was thinking I could just buff the marks out but it doesn't look like it to me.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 AM
darkman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fxst fork leg

Dont worry!!! Fit new chrome lowers! as for that screw just grip it tight n twist it out.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I removed the reflectors on the forks of my wife's Sportster she used to have, The back and forth motion of the thread I used left some light scratch marks on the lowers. I just used some WD40 to get off the rest of the sticky stuff left behind, and then took some spray polish to them. The light scratches seemed to disappear. I never noticed them again. So depending on how deep the scratches are, you might be able to just polish them out.

Look on the bright side. At least now you have an excuse to get some new lowers, or powder coat the ones you have. Powder coat is cheaper by the way.

Good luck! And I hope you get it fixed soon. I know it would tear me up if my bike was scratched up.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always polished my lowers in the past. They come with a factory clear coat on them. I put it on the lift and remove the front wheel. Then I use marine paint remover from an autoparts store, rinse them off, and start wet-sanding. I start with 600 and work my way up to 2000 grit. I finish with a Mother's Power Ball and Mother's Aluminum polish. This process takes some elbow work, but when you get them to a mirror finish they look like chrome and it is a lot cheaper.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sarge4life

I have always polished my lowers in the past. They come with a factory clear coat on them. I put it on the lift and remove the front wheel. Then I use marine paint remover from an autoparts store, rinse them off, and start wet-sanding. I start with 600 and work my way up to 2000 grit. I finish with a Mother's Power Ball and Mother's Aluminum polish. This process takes some elbow work, but when you get them to a mirror finish they look like chrome and it is a lot cheaper.

+1

but this last year I took em in and got em powdercoated black, looks good on the train.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 PM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a good way to reapply the clearcoat so that it looks better? Or maybe if I wet sand it to take out the scratches? There are alot of scratches so I don't think a simple buffing will help. I have a feeling I'm going to have to look at this for awhile.[:@]The only good thing is I can see it while riding and it doesn't slow me down.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

the wet sand is not a simple buff. it will take ya about three hours and a six pack. will look good to boot. if you wanted you could buy some clear spray paint and coat em again, but it's just as easy to use a mothers ball and some polish now and again