Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing heritage classic fuel filter, is it difficult to get to?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:48 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing heritage classic fuel filter, is it difficult to get to?

Ive been reading through my service manual and parts manual seeing what I need to maintain on my bike, making list of parts etc..

Just had a question about the fuel filter, service book doesn't make it look difficult to change but It may be a pain ti get to. Has anyone ever changed one before? If you have could you let me know if it was difficult or a huge hassle.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Changing heritage classic fuel filter, is it difficult to get to?

as I understand its pretty straightforward with the exception of one clamp in the tank... that one is a bit tough, but the rest is easy.

Be careful not to snag your fuel float on the way in/out... you have to twist the pump assembly on the way out.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobbyd3

Ive been reading through my service manual and parts manual seeing what I need to maintain on my bike, making list of parts etc..

Just had a question about the fuel filter, service book doesn't make it look difficult to change but It may be a pain ti get to. Has anyone ever changed one before? If you have could you let me know if it was difficult or a huge hassle.

What year bike?

What type of system? Carb ? FI ?

I just did a tank swap on my TC FI, and let me tell you that was a ***** of a job...... took me all day to properly figure out how to do it (and I had the factory service manual right in front of me!). The biggest problem is you simplycant see down inside the tank.....A dealer quoted me about an hour to swap everything for me...... stupid me, that would have been WELL worth $80... But I guess Ilearned how to swap an FI pump assembly......

Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '03 heritage classic, fuel injected.

Service manual makes it look like you just take of the top panel thing, thats right infront of the seat and its right inside their.

But I know from working on my car that sometimes what seems like it would be simple turns into an all day nightmare.