Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest, extended controls, and lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:03 PM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Backrest, extended controls, and lowering kit

Howdy yall, I have a few questions consorning my 08 Night Train, thought I'd group them all into one post instead of making mulitples.

I'm looking at adding a back rest, I was wondering how the solid moun ones mount. Do they just use the factory fender strut bolts and mount behind the strut? do they have some kind of backing to keep from scratching the paint?

Also, I'd like to extend my forward controls. I can probably make a set cheaper than buying one, just hoping somebody could show me some up close pics of theirs. I have the jist of of but want to see how it looks when it's done....maybe I can improve on it a little????

And lastly I'm wondering if there's a set of instructions floating around out there for the rear lowering kit. Not new shocks, just the replacement bolts. I'd like to do it myself but wanted to see what I'm getting into before I buy them incase I decide to go another route or schedule time to have it done.

Thanks yall, hope you can help.

***edit*** Forget the lowering kit, I found what I needed.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
08fxstb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Backrest, extended controls, and lowering kit

check out the haulen *** website for a back rest. they look nice. my wife is going to get one for my bike if she wants a backrest.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:51 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Im not sure on the Train, but on a Fatboy the HD solid mounting Backrest uprights bolt to the outside of the strut using the fender mounting bolts. Yes they do scrach the struts if you remove them.

Dont knw about forward controls as I have floorboards, but Kuraykyn and Arlen Ness both make extensions for the controls.

The lowering bolts come two types, Burn Out Cycles make a set that screw over the end of your shocks. Instal is easy remove the shocks and screw them on and reinstall the shocks. The HD bolts and some others require that you have a press too take the shock apart and replace the end.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 PM
BlackDragon
Tourer

Hey SGTGunner
Like the pipes on ya Train.
Posted a couple of pics of my 3" ness ext which are the cheapest way to ext the forward controls and comes with all the bits ya need.

Hope they help

regards Greg
07 FXSTC
Brisbane Australia.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 PM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info yall! Thanks a ton.

Black Dragon, those pics are EXACTLY what I was hopin for! I already have some 1/2" plate, looks like just need to cut and drill holes and mount them up. Found the extended shift linkage and brake line for pretty cheap too. Outstanding!!!

08fxstb. I spent a little time on Carson. They ever get that road construction done? Part of my unit is still up there, when you see the 47's flyin.....that's them.

Thanks again yall, been a big help!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:02 PM
biskit
Advanced

For the backrest, you may have to get the HD signal relocation kit...moves the turn signal back to make room for attaching the backrest support. I have the HD removable wrinkle black. There is a mounting kit for that too, but I've never scratched the paint and I can remove it easily.

Also have the Ness 3" forward plates. Different dealers have different prices on these but I picked up everything I needed in a kit for an '07 for about 140.00 on ebay. Plates, bolts, cables, brake switch junction box, shift rod, ect.

Nice pipes, are those Reinharts?