Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 installed - good & bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stage 1 installed - good & bad

I got my bike backlast night from having a PCIII, drag pipes w/2" Rush slip-ons and the SE A/C. the good thing is it runs great and it's just as loud as I had hoped.... the bad thing is what it did to my gas mileage, it went way down..... of course, that could have been my fault for getting on it TOO much to hear those Rushs do their thing!!

and not to forget the KUDOS to Jamie at FuelMotoUSA for setting up the PCIII for my bike - absolutely no popping on decel, no matter how much throttle I gave it and snapped it shut. and my indy, Chris of Texas Outlaw Cycles in San Antonio for doing the install. great guy, great work!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stage 1 installed - good & bad

Extra performance is never free. If you think of a motor as a big pump and you are making it suck in more air and put out more exhaust it must require more fuel to do the job right.

Mark

Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

If your mileage went way down your PClll may need some tweaking, you may be real rich. Most of the bikes we ride with saty pretty much the same MPG with only a Stage 1, some have even improved MPG because they were so lean and inefficient before the tune.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:47 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: commander112

Extra performance is never free. If you think of a motor as a big pump and you are making it suck in more air and put out more exhaust it must require more fuel to do the job right.

Mark
it was a smart-*** comment...... although, I did rap the throttle more today than usual.

byw: I'm an old gear head from the 60's, and a retired Army helicopter Maintanence Test Pilot - I better know how engines work.... [sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine went down but runs richer. I get about 40 average. I am going to lean the cruising range and see what that does

Old 03-23-2008, 07:28 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: XARAN

If your mileage went way down your PClll may need some tweaking, you may be real rich. Most of the bikes we ride with saty pretty much the same MPG with only a Stage 1, some have even improved MPG because they were so lean and inefficient before the tune.
This is what i think too. I own a 04. They dont run as lean as the new ones so i only have the stage 1 with no pclll.

I am getting about 45 mpg if i just put around. If i get aggressive my mileage does suffer.

David

Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,633 Likes on 5,229 Posts

I've got an '06 Heritage Classic with Stage 1, PCIII, K&N air filter and D&D Fatcat exhaust. Each time I have changed the exhaust (3 times, but no more) I've gotten a new map from Fuel Moto, and shortly thereafter had the bike dyno tuned. And each time the bike it turned out that the bike was running slightly rich, but Jamie's map was almost spot-on.

Let me say that I have never seen 40 mpg, and if I run at a steady 75-80 mph on the highway it'll drop as low as 32 mpg. But I wouldn't trade the power for better gas mileage. Bottom line is you're running much richer than stock, as you know, so I wouldn't worry about it. After all, if it was gas mileage you were after, you'd have bought a Prius

Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. Stage one with drag pipes and PCIIIand I get 34 around town and 40 on the highway if I can keep it in 6th. I love the sound and the performance though so I'm cool with the MPG.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
mikef
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the PCIII ?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:23 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mikef