Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Premium air horn

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 PM
BIG Y 2014
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Premium air horn

anyone have one on their bike ? how do you think it looks onthe bike?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:47 AM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HD Premium air horn

I just put one on my Deluxe a week ago...from a looks perspective it doesn't look bad....I would have thought, however, at what HD gets for these things (bought from Chicago HD...so 20% off....about $150 for horn and kit)...you must buy the kit as well. But I would have thought it would be made out of metal?? Hardly....the entire thing is chromed plastic.... Installation was fairly straight-forward....follow the instructions though...and yes you have to raise the tank to get the wiring and air line away from the engine... Took me about 1 1/2 hrs to install...although I would say I'm slow at putting some of this stuff on...plus I have a corbin seat that is always fun trying to put back in place once I have to take it off....(another story). I haven't taken a pic yet, but can upload one if you would like to see the horn installed....looks just like in the catalog though... The main reason I put this horn on instead of an aftermarket...is I think the installation kit for the HD is a much cleaner install. I had ordered a Bad Boy horn from JP Cycles, but you have to do all the wiring for that...no kit is included....so at least for the HD version, it is a cleaner look out of the box. From a sound perspective, it is a LOT louder than the stock horn....while I haven't "tested" it in traffic yet....I hope that "someone" will hear it other than me!!! I think it was a good choice though for an air horn install....just wish it was made out of better quality materials... My 2c.......

Old 03-23-2008, 07:04 AM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto to Eddeluxe's comments. I've have used it in traffics and it defintely gets a cagers attention. Would highly recommend from an loudness level.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 AM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought the Stebel for $ 32.00 and painted it to
match my bike...can also buy it in chrome...very load...

[IMG]local://upfiles/6335/14B3E8E7553C476ABD3DFA0A3599A33E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 PM
HarleyJ
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put mine on today and wanted to make sure everyone reading this knows that there are some things not in the instruction manual...(LOL - Harley wouldn't do that!!) There's another post on here about installation issues that you can search but here's the gist: First, the rubber mount can be a P.I.T.A to get off! You'll more than likely ruin in when you take off the old horn so be prepared for that. It's two disks welded onto a bolt with the rubber in between all twisted into the welded nut on the bike. I used two nuts, jammed them together and cranked the inner one counter clockwise to get it off. Second, make sure when you plug the elbow joints into the bottom of the horn, the yellow or yellow with black stripe goes in the positive (+) side and the black on the negative side. Someone else got them reversed and fried the horn, so I wasn't about to make that mistake twice. And third, the fuse relay can be a little difficult to tuck and stuff in the battery compartment (at least it was on my 2008 Deluxe) so be prepared to do some cable management when you're in there.
Hope this helps anyone going to do this install yourself. It was fun, worth it and the horn sounds awesome!!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Buddy of mine has one on his 08 Ultra. Looks good but it sure does bounce around alot. Hasn't ever vibrated off though.

Had one issue on the install as I recall. Had 2 wires hooked up wrong. Horn had a muted sound but when he switched the 2 wires it worked normal.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Make sure you dont pinch the air intake hose either now or in the future. If the sounds seems to diminish check to make sure the hose is not crimped.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 PM
DeluxeBob
Advanced

Best horn for my money is the Stebel Nautilus. Great wiring harness, simple install, comes in easy to paint black or chrome, and is loud as fawk. No kidding, this thing is rated at 130+ db and it makes every bit of it.

You can get like five os the Stebels for the price of that Harley piece and I bet a month's pay the Harley horn isn't as loud.

I put one on the wife's bike and after I heard it I decided I wanted one for mine.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 PM
DeluxeBob
Advanced

Link to the Stebel.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/prod...tipologia=moto

My HD dealer carried them in stock, but wanted $79 for the horn and harness. The harness and relay make the install brainless.

Lots of clips on YouTube to get an idea of the sound. Lots of guys did before and after clips.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't say I've ever felt the need for a louder horn. Stock one has served me well.

Quick Reply: HD Premium air horn