Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Polished Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 PM
kimbo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Polished Rotors

Screwed, up my front rotor on the twistes in NC. Getting tired of the front break surge on my 06 heritage and looking to replace both rotors. Which way should I go and where?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:05 PM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Polished Rotors

Sounds like a blessing in disguise...Your new rotors will look great!

Belowis a close-up of my HD polished rotor. It looks OK in the pic, but I actually don't recommend it. It's not chrome, and it's a little darker. Also, HD doesn't polish the inside of the slots. Mine are kind of rough and you can even see some rust inside the slots. This is the way the rotors came. Even the parts guy says he doesn't know why HD doesn't do a better job with these. Another local shop has HD rotors that a third party polishes much better.

But, I'd recommend another style. I've got my bike in the shop for new tires, and I'm taking advantage of the situation to put on HD chrome teardrop floating rotors. The actual disc is stainless and the "spider" is chromed steel. IMHO this pattern goes well with spoke wheels. I've noticed some other really cool non HD rotors on some forum members' bikes.

Here's a pic of the rotor on an HD custom:

I hope to have a better close-up of my own bike when it gets out of the shop. Right now, the rotors are on order.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 PM
kimbo
Outstanding HDF Member

mcpastor, thanks for the responce, yeah I agree the floating rotor sounds like the way to go. and the stainless polished combo seems to have it's advantages.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Yea, make sure you see 'em before you buy 'em though. I ordered them sight unseen, and was a little disappointed today when I saw them. I still bought them 'cuz the teardrop shape cutouts works well with wire wheels. Overall, though, the bling factor just wasn't there for me. There's not much chrome surface area in the spider, and it's just stamped out with no care given to the rough edges, though they are chrome. Seems like the stainless rotor is actually bigger, too, and it's not polished at all. So, you may want to see them in person. A well-polished steel rotor may look nicer if you like the standard HD shape. Otherwise, there are aftermarket products available.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Click herea pic of the teardrop rotor I bought.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer

Kimbo,
I have a set like mcpastor that i'm not using any longer..I'm cleaning them up right now, let me know if you would like them....save you a bunch of money

Old 04-01-2008, 06:17 PM
kurtlange
Tourer

go here--http://*******.com/26zxug,and look at their rotors and matching pad. i've been using them for 2+ years, no problems.