Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05' Deluxe vs 07' Deluxe frame ?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:12 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 05' Deluxe vs 07' Deluxe frame ?

Going to change stock seat with a spring vintage solo. Looking around, most of the kits are for hardware (ie., springs, mounts, clips, etc), but don't provide covers for the battery and ECM. I think I found a seat frame mount cover, took some ballpark measurements, and looks like it should fit. The description is for 2000-2005 Harley FXST-FLST .

If anyone has knowledge if the 05' and 07'frames are pretty much the same OR if you have an 05' and could take 3 measurements, I'll match it up with my 07'.

1. top, where the pic indicates 7.25"
2. middle, where pic indicates 11.5"
3. seat neck, where pic indicates 5.75"

any other inputs or opinions are greatly appreciated..

[IMG]local://upfiles/34488/771FF964372F4E96A47D28E93828BDE7.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 05' Deluxe vs 07' Deluxe frame ?

It is kind of difficult to understand what you are asking for in that photo. I can tell you that at the front of the seat area itis "about" 4" wide on my '05. At the bolt point (where the bolts go through the seat base and mount to the frame) it is about 11.5" and the ECM area is about 5.5" wide. I hope this helps. Let me know. By the way, I only measured once and have a terrible cold so there may be errors.
I don't think there are any differences in frames between years.

Mark

Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 AM
ronyd
Road Master

Hey Mark,

Yeah, I'm just trying to match up my measurements to the 05'. Just trying to get the 3 main points of the cover.

But, your just the guy I should be talking to. Did you do put the seat on yourself? Tell me about it..

[ol][*]where did you get seat, and any complaints?[*]did you use a seat frame cover for battery and ecm?[*]what did you use for kit?[*]how much did it raise from stock? I could use a liitle height extension, even at 5'7.[/ol]
And your pipes?
[ol][*]true duals or crossover? I was thinking V&H or Rinehart without fishtails.[*]any complaints?[/ol]

Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 AM
commander112
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ronyd

Hey Mark,

Yeah, I'm just trying to match up my measurements to the 05'. Just trying to get the 3 main points of the cover.

But, your just the guy I should be talking to. Did you do put the seat on yourself? Tell me about it..
[ol][*]where did you get seat, and any complaints?[*]did you use a seat frame cover for battery and ecm?[*]what did you use for kit?[*]how much did it raise from stock? I could use a liitle height extension, even at 5'7.[/ol]
And your pipes?
[ol][*]true duals or crossover? I was thinking V&H or Rinehart without fishtails.[*]any complaints?[/ol]
I used a seat and mounting kit from V-Twin Manufacturing's catalog. The seat pan was made by one of the members here (T-Rat) but V-Twin sells a nice metal one that works with their kit. It is expensive Chinese crap that they sell and did require a bit of trimming here and there for it to all fit properly. Get a Dremmel and a grinder but it all went together. The biggest problem was they want you to relocate the ECM. I did not want to do that and modified the seat base to allow the ECM to stay in the stock location.
It does raise you up a bit. Where I am used to sitting into the frame I am now up quite a bit. It is a totally different feel. I am only 5'6" tall and can still touch with both feet with only slight tip toeing.
I am running Samson True Duals and like them although I think they could have designed the shift rod better as it wants to rub the primary or heat shield.I like the sound though.

Mark

Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM
ronyd
Road Master

Mark,

Yeah I think the seat frame cover I show along with the kit (31-4190) should do the trick. V-Twin Mfg. are the sole supplier's. There's http://www.debrix.comwho is a distributor at 15% discount. Was the seat base any of the others on page 1182 of Vtwin catalog http://www.vtwinmfg.com/Catalog1/VTwinCatalogIndex1.htm?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
commander112
Road Master

Iused 31-4190 on page 1182but changed the springs to 3" instead of the 2" that come with the kit.

Mark

Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
ronyd
Road Master

thankx Mark, and the seat base you used was on which page?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:39 PM
commander112
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ronyd

thankx Mark, and the seat base you used was on which page?
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Part number 31-4190 is a full kit. It has Base, T-bar, springs (2") and hardware. All you need beyond this kit is the seat of your choice and a frame cover.

Mark

Old 03-25-2008, 07:02 PM
ronyd
Road Master

sorry Mike, bear with me here. Need to rewind back to what you described. Looking at the kit, I see the T-Bar, but what is the Base you are talking about. And doesn;t a complete seat consist of a seat pan and covering. Sorry don;t understand what you modified, seat base or seat pan?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 PM
commander112
Road Master

When looking at the photo of the kit in the upper left is a black painted piece that goes across the frame and bolts into the frame at the widest point. It also has two screws that go into the area right behind the fuse panel. In order to make it work without relocating the ECM I ground away an area to allow the wiring to pass around it. This piece is what the springs attach to from the bottom. I also had to make a few other adjustments.
A seat is a seat pan and a covering. This will attach to the T-Bar. As for a frame cover, I believe their part number 42-0942 is the one you want but since I did not use their part you will need to confirm.

MARK

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05' Deluxe vs 07' Deluxe frame ?