Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar swap on a 07 FXST

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 PM
KLR J
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar swap on a 07 FXST

I need some much needed advice.
I purchased some drag bars to mount on my stock risers. I have a couple of issues with the install. First- the front brake line- What can I do with that to make it fit, it seems almost impossible to maneuver it around to get the resevoir on.

Second- I have the knurled glueless grips and my left side is stuck on. The dealer installed this before I bought the bike so I am not sure how to remove it. I assumed it would just slip off.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:06 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Handlebar swap on a 07 FXST

Your probably going to have to replace the entire line. The stock combination hard and flex line is impossible to bend to fit smaller or shorter bars. Best bet would be to just get new, shorter ones.
The grip is probably glued on, most are and if you want to get it off so you can reuse it I suggest getting a strap wrench to just twist it off. I say use a strap wrench becasue it won't damage the outer surface like a pipe wrench or a pair of channel lock pliers will.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 AM
KLR J
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I 'll give it a try. do you know if there is a braided one piece to the front brake, or do they only make the flexible/tubing lines. Your right it looks like there is no chance of it fitting.

I also need to move my blinkers but was going to do that anyway.

thanks again

Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure you can find one that will fit properly. The trick will be to get the measurment right so you get the right length line. If you can get hold of an accessory catalog it lists all the lengths for all the stock and customsizes they sell.
If you can get a good measurment of the needed length I suggest you give Sue a call at Magnum Shielding. Their top of the line Chromite II cables and brake lines are the same as HD's Diamondback series because theymake them for HD. But they don't charge as much for them as HD does. I just put a complete set of theirs on my bike and they look and fit perfectly for a lot less money. Fortunatly for me their only about 20 miles from me so I didn't hve to get them shipped to me. I just ordered them and went down to pick them up from their front desk.

Here's their web site address. http://www.magnumshielding.com/
The phone number is on the site, just call and ask for Sue,she'll help you out.