Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard is to change handlebars???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 PM
FAT POI
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is to change handlebars???

Wondering if is easy to swap handlebars.....

Old 03-26-2008, 01:52 PM
sl954
Cruiser
Default RE: how hard is to change handlebars???

It's not hard at all if you take your time. Better yet, take the time and run your wiring inside the bars, it really cleans up the look.

Steve

Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 PM
pwer pla
Tourer

Service Manual and a Sunday afternoon and you are good to go. If I can do it anyone can. Just take your time

Old 03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Service manual, the right tools, and time make it a reasonably simple procedure.

Simply switching bars is pretty simple. Add successive difficulty if you need to change cables and lines, have to extend the control and signal wiring, and if you are going to internally wire the bars. None of this is hard per se. It just adds complexity to the job.

Lots of good gouge, tips, lessons learned, and information in general here to help you through it.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:37 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto on what's being said here. If your mindset is to hurry the job up so your can get on the road again quickly, then wait for a rainy weekend. If you have never worked on your bike before, it will be intriging enough without worrying about getting it done for the next day. Not hard at all, just patience... I did my Deluxe for a Winter project, so I had plenty of time to suck it all in, enjoy it, and do even more than expected. Bars, SS cables, ISO grips, heated elements for grips, added relay circuits, etc. Went very well. But again, I planned on not riding and wasn;t pressured to get it done in a day or two... ****, it was a hoot just to see my wife;s face drop when she sawI had a new scoot all apart, and wondered If it would start again..PRICELESS!!!

Go for it.. Post your questions and we'll guide you through.. HAVE FUN....

Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swapping the bars is easy, especially if you can get by without having to go with longer cables & brake line. Make sure you protect your tank and fender with a blanket because something heavy like a clutch perch is sure to slip and bang into it, and cover any floor drain in your garage that might attract small parts that you drop. (Those little brass deals on the end of throttle cables come to mind)

If you get the grips tightened down and something electrical doesn't work, it's because you pinched a wire when you tightened the clamp.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:48 PM
FAT POI
Stage IV

Mahalo for all you guyz replies!!!
Now I have to find the right handlebar.
Got beach bars on it, fells lil' wide on tight turns.....

Old 03-27-2008, 04:43 AM
BlackDragon
Tourer

Just a note for ya on changing bars and internal wiring.
The job is pretty easy as the others said as long as U have some time to spare.

If U do internal wiring I took the black cable off the wiring as 2big to go through bars. Do yourself a favour and buy2 long lengths of heat shrink. Once you have taken that hard plastic sleeve off your wiring slide on the heat shrink and heat up. Due to the lenght a good heat gun makes the job a lot easier.
Once U run the cables down the bars they are as small as they can be and protected as you pull them through and also help stop any rubbing internally.

Not a big thing but soemthing I believe is a big benefit to the wiring.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for BlackDragon. I forgot to mention that. You end up with a smaller tight cable bundle. Also, take the time and remove the pins from connectors versus cutting and soldering. You'll end up with a bulkier bundle since you need to staggered you solder connections. Plus it's alot more cleaner.

Don;t know what part of the country you live, but if in colder climates (I'm in NE), may want to think about grip heaters. Kuryakyn has "heat demons", which are cylinder elements that slide into the handlebar. that way, you can use any grip you want. For $110, while you have everything off, well worth it. Best to get them if you decide, so you can wire them up and pull them though bars while pulling the control switch assemblys through.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:40 AM
bearc.paw
Tourer

Not Hard, Time consuming. If youhave some help a plus, Can be done by yourself, but I and a Brother did mine this winter. Went from stock to 16" apes internally wired. I'm very pleased with the outcome...... Hope you find the answers you are looking for......Ride Safe and Often.....BearC.Paw........

Quick Reply: how hard is to change handlebars???