Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wash and polish my bike.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM
mikef
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wash and polish my bike.

I have a 2008 Fat Boy with Vance & Hines Big Radius Pipes. I have the detachable passenger back rest and detachable windshield both from HD. I am having saddle bags rigid mounted next week. I am a pretty busy person and I do not have lots of time to clean my bike. I would rather spend my free time riding. I was looking for a mobile service to come to my house once a week and detail my bike but so far I havent found anybody. I live in a dusty area and it gets dirty quick.

My question is this..... What is the easiest way to clean my bike and polish the chrome? What products are out there topolish my chrome? I am looking for the easiestquickest method. Money is not an issue. Whatare the best products out there. Is there something that can just be sprayed on and wiped off? I cant clean it like a car because I shouldnt get the seat or saddlebags wet..... correct?

This may seem like a dumb question but I am new to this and new to chrome. I am an offroader so this is my first toy that I want to keep clean. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:05 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: How to wash and polish my bike.

Use S100 Total Cycle cleaner to wash the bike. You literally spray it on the bike, then rinse with the strongest setting on your garden hose nozzle. I use the HD polish on my tins and larger chrome areas (forks, primary, pipes, etc.) I use Harley Gloss in between washes and on smaller tough to reach chrome parts. Harley Gloss is a great overall detailer for chrome, painted areas, plastic, etc.

Getting the seat and bags wet shouldn't be a problem if you are just spraying the bike in a wash, or rainstorm, etc. They are somewhat water resistant, just not water proof.

S100 also makes detailing product that are good as well.

Personally I woudn't have a detail service touch my bike, the more hands that touch her, mean more scratches etc. No one is as careful as you would be.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:07 PM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser

try this product, captain richards best, all you do is spray on the applicator cloth wipea section of your bike then use a microfiber cloth and wipe it off, then move to the next section.

i think the website is captainrichardsbest.com

Old 04-03-2008, 05:11 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really really really hate to give you a reality check but there is probably nothing on this planet that is a shortcut to keeping the bike pristine, particularly if you ride in the rain often ..... myself and those I ride with will often spend a few hours cleaning the bike , before we ride it and get dirty ... just because

Old 04-03-2008, 05:13 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

For a quick wash without having to put no labor in it, I suggest spraying the whole bike with water first and then with a fine mist of S100 total bike cleaner. Let it stand a couple of minutes and rinse off and dry the bike. Works real well for a bike that is not real dirty. For a good cleaning I always use Meguiars Gold Class car wash liquid.At the beginning of the riding season and at the end, I wax the bike with the Meguiars Gold Class wax on the paint and chrome and a second coat of Harley Glaze. The Harley Glaze is a polish and selant and can be used on paint, crome, polished parts, and the lexan windshield. Between washes as a wipe down for surface containment such as bugs, I use the Harley spray cleaner and polish which does not require any rinsing. The Meguiars can be obtained at any Walmart.You can get the S100 at any HD dealer. Jerry

Old 04-03-2008, 05:22 PM
mikef
Cruiser

I have never and will never ride it in the rain......

It is only 2 weeks old.... but I find that it gets dusty quickly. I like to clean the windshield, dust it off and make sure the chrome is clean before every ride. I tried a little window cleaner on the the chrome for the dust but it made streaks.

Lots of good info. That is a good point about having someone wash my bike. I dont want any scratches. I never really thought about that. I guess I am going to have to make time to do it myself.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:34 PM
grzly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mikef

Oops mymistake .. i mistook you for a biker . there is a thread around here somewhere about yuppie's

Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't say that, if you ride enough, you will likely get stuck in the rain.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: grzly

ORIGINAL: mikef

Oops mymistake .. i mistook you for a biker . there is a thread around here somewhere about yuppie's
That is a pretty shitty reply to the guy. I don't blame him, I won't ride mine in the rain either. It has something to do with loving your bike and not wanting to get it all ****ed up in the rain. If you ride in the rain, you will NEVER, I repeat NEVER, get it looking like it did at the showroom.

So I guess I am a yuppie too[sm=shutup.gif]

Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
grzly
Road Master

yeah ... but you're a nice looking yuppie seriously , i thought that the comment was a bit optimistic , unless of course he lives in Dubai or somewhere similar where it is dusty and only rains a few times a year.

Quick Reply: How to wash and polish my bike.