Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Download or ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 PM
mikef
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Download or ???

I did the Harely Download as soon as I had my Vance & Hines Big Radius Pipes installed and the Screaming Eagle High Flow Air Intake. I am not completely happy with the download. Although it is much better I still get some inconsistency with my idle and there is some minor pops when I let off the throttle. Does that sound right? Any thoughts?

I am a perfectionist and I know this is going to bug me.

So I want to make it better. I have been reading up on this here on the forum and I have narrowed it down to a Power Commander (PCIII) or getting a Race Tuner (SERT) fromHareley Dealer. What is the best option. What will fix my problem the best. I will never do any other upgrades to the motor. I just want it to run as smooth as possible without the popping.I am leaning towards the Race Tuner.OH yeah I live inCalifornia if that helps..... we have all of the EPA BS. Thanks guys.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 PM
mikef
Cruiser
Default RE: Harley Download or ???

Well I just called my local dealer and I found out that they can no longer do the SERT here in California.... man that sucks. Sometimes I hate living in So Cal.

I guess that means it is the PCIII for me. Can I buy this already tuned and ready to go or should I take it and have it installed and put on a Dyno?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the tech sections https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_247/tt.htm
Tuning EFI bikes https://www.hdforums.com/m_341723/tm.htm
SERT, PC III, TFI or DFO? https://www.hdforums.com/m_228829/tm.htm

I went with SERT. CA bikes run the same emission controls as the HDI bikes so they're pretty lean outta the factory. The DL will have helped a bit... but you seem to have already figured out it's not really a comprehensive fix. PCIII if you don't do further works will prolly suffice, lots of good feedback here for PCIII. SERT will do the same, maybe a slightly better job if you really get into the tuning tables (just because it has more possibilities) but its a few more dollars.

Both are better than the DL. I didn't really want the PCIII module on the bike, so SERT was my choice.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:38 PM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mikef

Well I just called my local dealer and I found out that they can no longer do the SERT here in California.... man that sucks. Sometimes I hate living in So Cal.
You can still order the parts (eg: www.zanottimotors.com) and i'm sure you'll find a wrench who will tune SERT (if thats whgat you want)even if they cannot legally sell it to you in CA.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 PM
mikef
Cruiser

What about the Vance & Hines Fuel Pack.... is it any good?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 PM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser

Haven't heard any horror stories, similar to the PCIII is my understanding in the way it works with the ECM and is also installed on the bike. Doesn't appear as popular as the PCIII though.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
PowerJunkie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all you are going to do is pipes and air cleaner the FuelPak is a great choice. It has perfect tuning and throttle response. It's also significantly smaller than a pcIII and fits under the seat better. I have had one for a year now and love it.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
mikef
Cruiser

Thanks for the help...... That is a bad *** bike you have there. I really like it.

I have been doing more research and it looks like either the

PCIII
Thundermax or
Vance & Hines Fuel Pack

Are all of these easy to install or will I need to have it done.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Friends dont let friends get the download.

Got a sert and am running a precanned map. installed everything myself. Will be hitting the dyno as soon as I can afford it. Want my bike tuned for power, with a separate tune and calibration done for fuel economy.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

If Ya don't mind spending the money Zipper Thundermax with auto tune is the way to go...lace it up and let it do it's thing...I am already into the PCIII or I would have gone that route...I have to get mine Dyno tuned at the local Indy or HD Stealership at an additional $280 on top of the $300 I paid for the PCIII and the T-max will adjust for changes made to your A/C, exhaust and or climate where the SERT won't orI have to re-map the PCIII..

Good luck

Da Bone

Quick Reply: Harley Download or ???