Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to wrap my pipes need input

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
krichard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to wrap my pipes need input

I'm about to attempt to wrap my pipes and need some input from those that have experience. Should I start from the back and work my way to the engine or the other way? Do I need to soak the wrap first in water? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
HotRoc54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: About to wrap my pipes need input

I had the roll of tape sitting in a bucket of water.
Started wrapping from rear and went toward engine.
Key is to keep it tight while wrapping.
Just takes a little patience. Enjoy.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

+1, but I don't think it matters which end you start at.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Diavolo
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my first set of pipes with the ol' water trick. I did my second set without water. Want to know the difference? The water makes the whole job messy. Skip the water. No benefit to it. You still get little fiberglass pieces in your skin. The trick is to take it slow and keep the wrap TIGHT. Do one wrap around the pipes at a time and hang on to each wrap with your free hand to keep it from coming loose.

Know what helps, keep a large straight pin handy to hold the wrap in place in case you need to put the pipe down for whatever reason (ie. phone call). You'll thank me for this.

FYI - I did mine starting at the motor. Never tried it the other way. I don't think there's a real benefit either way.

Also, expect a lot of smoke when you first start the bike up. Don't jump on it and take off. You'll be embarrassed when you stop at the light and everyone is staring at your smoking bike. Just run the bike outside the garage for 5-10 mins. Eventuallythe smokestops.

Good luck.

p.s. Stainless hose clamps work great for finishing up the ends.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Diavolo

I did my first set of pipes with the ol' water trick. I did my second set without water. Want to know the difference? The water makes the whole job messy. Skip the water. No benefit to it. You still get little fiberglass pieces in your skin. The trick is to take it slow and keep the wrap TIGHT. Do one wrap around the pipes at a time and hang on to each wrap with your free hand to keep it from coming loose.

Know what helps, keep a large straight pin handy to hold the wrap in place in case you need to put the pipe down for whatever reason (ie. phone call). You'll thank me for this.

FYI - I did mine starting at the motor. Never tried it the other way. I don't think there's a real benefit either way.

Also, expect a lot of smoke when you first start the bike up. Don't jump on it and take off. You'll be embarrassed when you stop at the light and everyone is staring at your smoking bike. Just run the bike outside the garage for 5-10 mins. Eventuallythe smokestops.

Good luck.

p.s. Stainless hose clamps work great for finishing up the ends.
Great bit of info, I never thought to mention that. I was sitting here laughing my @ss off thinking about it! Sometimes I miss the obvious....

Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Diavolo
Banned

Okay, one more tip, but it's a good one...

When you are done wrapping your pipes, mask off the chrome parts and then spray paint, using black grill paint, the wrap on your pipes. Why? Because if you have ever seen anyone running black wrap on their pipes, it's always faded, uneven and looks very weathered. Using the black grill paint helps keep the wrap looking black for a long time. Plus, touchups are breeze, even while the pipes are still on the bike. You can mask off certain areas or just get close and spray any light spots. Light spots usually occur when your foot or anything else hit's the wrap over time.

FYI - Using the paint will not cause your pipes to smoke again.

Note: If you ever plan on taking the wrap off of the pipes, don't use the spray paint. Obviously it'll bleed through and screw the pipes up. Then again, from whatI understand, once you wrap your pipes you won't be able torun them unwrapped anyway. I guess the wrap screws the pipes up. Not structurally, but the appearance.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 PM
detonator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A word to the wise,the wrap will ruin your pipes ifyou happen to go around a sharp corner and scratch the wrap off the pipe and have to buy more wrap. The vibration from bike will rub all the finnish off the pipe were it was wrapped and it will rust to hell ruinning the pipes were ever the wrapwas, if you dont wrap it back upright away when it happens your pipes will rust.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Diavolo
Banned

...or wrap them right the first time and never worry. They won't rust. Mine never did. Maybe if you ran them for a very long time. Then again, who the hell runs the same pipes for 10 years or so? And even at that point it's just gonna be surface rust. Who cares?

And who the hell is leaning their bike into a turn that much that they rub their pipes? Yeah, I've rubbed the tips on the streets, but the rest of the pipe. Damn, get rid of the Harley and get yourself a Yakamuzzi 1000ZX-R blah blah blah.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Puzzled
Banned

Don't hit the wrap with the pressure washer either!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Slammed Rod
Cruiser

I just did mine and I use a spray bottle instead of soaking them.Worked really good and was able to realy pull the wrap tight.Start at the end of the pipes and work up to the engine.Then you will only need to clamp it at the exhaust flange only.Less clamps =neater look.Also put a few coats of high heat paint on for sure!!!!

Quick Reply: About to wrap my pipes need input