Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
rshallman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger floorboards

I have a 2003 Fatboy. Took the Mrs riding yesterday and she melted her boot on my exhaust. I am looking to put some passenger floorboards on so that she can be more comfortable and keep her foot away from the exhaust. Also in the future, when I can afford it, I will be going to either a V&H or Thunderheader2into1 pipes instead of the SEII slip ons that came on the bike so at that point the boards will just be for her comfort on longer trips. Right now the passenger peg is mounted between the top and bottom SEII pipes. I was wondering what kind of floorboards you guys recommend and how they mount. I have found some that mount in place of the passenger pegs that I like. Most of the ones that I have found say that the bike needs the HD passenger floorboard mounts installed already. Does anyone besided HD make these mounts? Which passenger boards do you guys prefer?

Old 04-03-2008, 11:28 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned
Default RE: Passenger floorboards

I had these for my Fatboy from JP cycles, for about $39 and they worked pretty well. They plugged into the rear peg clevis, so it was a easy install. They didn't fold up 100% on the right side due to the shotgun exhaust and I left them down all the time. The only thing I didn't like, was the shape as I would bang the back of my calves on the corners the few times I backed the bike up. I'm **** enough that it bothered me enough that I bought the harley passenger floorboards in black (about 1/2 the price as the chrome ones). The harley ones fold up all the way, on both sides- but honestly, they are always down unless I'm washing the bike. The little woman said the harley boards are a little more comfortable on long trips, they are more "spongy" in the rubber tops.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the HD floorboards, and I added the "nostalgic" insert and concho chrome cover. The Mrs. loves how solid they are--She says they're TONS better than the original pegs and the upgrade pegs I had earlier, in terms of comfort and foot positions. That means happier trips together, and, as you say, no more melted boot on the exhaust.

They mount on the HD cast iron hexagonal post thingy that comes with the floorboards, and thelonger bolt (included) that attaches the mount directly where the original peg used to be.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Solitaree1
Road Master

I have an 07 FLSTC and even WITH the passenger floorboards, I get passenger boot marks on the muffler.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:51 AM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Solitaree1

I have an 07 FLSTC and even WITH the passenger floorboards, I get passenger boot marks on the muffler.
Yes, it can still happen. For us it doesn't happen often. Actually, my pic above shows some, but it's left over from when I had only pegs on there. Anyone tried "Road Rub?" It takes some work, but it gets it off. Road Rub is like a deodorant style stick, and the compound is natural rubber with baking soda. I don't know how it does it, but it grinds the rubber/plastic off, and doesn't seem to harm the pipes.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 AM
rshallman
6th Gear

Thanks for the info, think i'm going with at least the HD mounts. Also I have found that 0000 steel wool takes off the burnt rubber with a little elbow grease. Wet the steel wool before using it and it won't scratch the chrome.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:09 AM
billfitt
Cruiser

i got the jp cycles floorboards that was mentioned ealier. wife thinks they're great. with long shots they do fold up flat.
bill

Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
rshallman
6th Gear

Went to the stealership this morning and found a set of peg extensions and floorboards by Kuryakyn. These extensions extend the peg mounts out about 2 inches and then they make boards that attach to the the extentions or the footpeg mount depending on what type of pipes you have. Does anyone have this setup?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:07 PM
04Softail
Intermediate

Are you talking about these ?
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp...ey&ci=3225

If so , yep I have them but now that you said it I am going to order a set of the extensions that extend the peg mounts out about 2 inches . The wife loves the way they feel. I may end up ordering the anti-rotation passenger peg mount if mine start to rotate but as for now they seem ok.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 PM
fbhawg
Tourer

Don't use steel wool. Use a razor blade and very light pressure. Get only HD boards, those cheapies will twist on you. E Bay will get them at about $150-$175 if you shop and they will have chrome bottoms. Be sure you get the sotail ones. They are different.

Quick Reply: Passenger floorboards