Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

footpeg removal - Rocker - help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 AM
rsclarkjr
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default footpeg removal - Rocker - help please

I bought some new footpegs yesterday to replace the ugly Rocker stock pegs and I cannot figure out how to get the little c shaped pin off the bottom of the stock pegs. I cannot seem to push it off with a screwdriver and it is too small to grab it and pull it off with a pair of needle nose pliars. I know this is dumb but does anyone have any suggestions about how to grab on to the little clip and get it off? Special tool? Something. Obviously I am no mechanic to be asking this questions but consider myself reasonably proficient and worked on this last night for about 30 minutes with no result. Please help and thanks in advance for any suggestions you might make.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:30 AM
tobyhd1
Tourer
Default RE: footpeg removal - Rocker - help please

I don`t know what you have there but you pribably need a pair of snap -ring pliers.Does the ring have any hoes at the end?If not you need the spreader type which work the opposite of regular pliers.If you need it again for the new pegs be gentle with it.And watch where it flies when it comes off the end of the pliers.Toby

Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 AM
emsley3
Advanced

tobyhd1 is correct, you really need a pair of snap-ring pliers and ones that go both ways as you will have to use the clip again.. I tried for about all of 10 seconds with the screwdriver/needle nose plier combination and realized real quickly that I was going to end up scratching the frame and being really pissed off. Borrowed a pair of snap-ring pliers from a friend the next day and changed the pegs out in less than 5 minutes.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 AM
rsclarkjr
5th Gear

Looks like I will be heading to the auto parts place for a pair of snap ring pliars. Thanks for your help! I played with the damn pliar/screwdriver combo last night for about 30 minutes and came to the realization that I was definitely going to scratch something if I could ever get it to work. Not to mention that the small c clip would have flown away and finding it could be a problem. Are there different size snap ring pliars, I am just not familiar with them...............

Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 AM
emsley3
Advanced

ORIGINAL: rsclarkjr

Looks like I will be heading to the auto parts place for a pair of snap ring pliars. Thanks for your help! I played with the damn pliar/screwdriver combo last night for about 30 minutes and came to the realization that I was definitely going to scratch something if I could ever get it to work. Not to mention that the small c clip would have flown away and finding it could be a problem. Are there different size snap ring pliars, I am just not familiar with them...............
From the little knowledge that I have with the pliers, yes, there are different sizes. My buddy rebuilt his Mustang a couple of years ago and had an expensive pair that had 4 or 5 different head sizes with it. I changed them out until I found the right fit.