Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail suspension rant.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 PM
wlkilmer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail suspension rant.

I bought the 04 Heritage Classic last year because the wife refused to ride with me on the sporty. Well I’m used to riding a sporty lowered with Progressive front and rear, and, my opinion is the “softtail” road terrible. The bike sat much too high for I could not get my feet out far enough past the rear foot rest to move the bike around. As to handling, I felt as if I were steering instead of riding her. And does buckboard ring a bell? Solution: After much homework and thanks to HDForums.com and its search button, she rides and handles well beyond what I expected. I installed Progressive Airltail with the pump, Progressive fork lowering kit 1”, and Race Tech Gold Valves. I called Race Tech and got a few hints on setting up their valves with progressive springs. Weather permitting, I go for test rides and it took awhile to get the air suspension right. She takes bumps beautifully and floats over railroad tracks. I’ve practiced emergency stops and never felt out of control. I had to do this post to thank you guys for making it so easy. Here is a picture where she is slammed to the max but I would never ride like that.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Softail suspention rant.

I ride like that every day, no problems. What kind of exhaust is that? Looks really good.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:14 PM
NightTrain08
Banned
Default RE: Softail suspention rant.

Well sounds like you are a small fella, maybe you should go back to the sporty. My 08 softail rides like a dream compared to the 08 sporty I had.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:46 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail suspension rant.

I'm confused why anyone would want to try and compare riding solo a sporty with modified suspension to riding a stock heritage 2up .... Unless I have that wrong quite frankly that just sounds stupid. glad you have since "fixed" it.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 PM
wlkilmer
Intermediate

Wow, you guys are brutes, you all have a nice life.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Wlkilmer, it not like you didn’t ask for it. You come on here bashing Softails and naturally you are going to touch a nerve. I love the way mine rides and I wouldn’t change it for anything. I’m glad you finally got yours the way you want it. Nice pipes.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:08 PM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Never a prob with my fatboy's stock suspension - glad you got yours where you want it...

Old 04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Relax wilkilmer, nobody means anything personal. You just hit a nerve disparaging our favorite 'big boy toy". You also have to admit the comparison is a little silly. Kinda like comparing a Vette to a pickup, or apples and oranges. Of course the Sporty is going to handle the road better, especially with a modified suspension. Hell its probably better with the stock setup.
Rememberthe Softail was designed to LOOK like a hardtail, little consideration was given to the fact that the geometry needed to do it was not the best for greathandling. That it does as well as it does out of the box says a lot for somegoodmechanical engineers making what the pointy heads in the marketing department wanted, work.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:29 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice life. LOl. Life is good,and the ride on my Heritage rocks !!

[sm=trust_me.gif]

Old 04-13-2008, 12:20 AM
wlkilmer
Intermediate

Hi all, I apologize, I bought the bike used and one or both of the shocks could have been bad. Plus the foot rests are out farther then normal because of adapters for the bag guards. Thanks again for all your help and if I do post again I will think it through.

Quick Reply: Softail suspension rant.