Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re: removing clutch and crank sprocket

Old 04-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Pidgin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re: removing clutch and crank sprocket

Greetings, all...general newbie here. My first big project is underway; taking a '92 FXSTS down to the frame. Everything is off except for the engine, primary, starter, trans, but I have a quick question...

According to the shop manual, I need to remove the compensating sprocket shaft nut in order to ultimately pull the engine. Of course, trying to turn the nut means rotating the entire crank, chain, etc...is there a way to "lock" the sprocket or primary chain in order to get on this nut and loosen it? Ditto for the eventual clutch removal, too...the manual says "remove," but doesn't say how to remove it...

Any help would be appreciated. I have been following the "order of removal" outlined in some of the other threads, taking copious notes and videos, so I'm feeling very confident...this little problem has me stumped, though...thanks!

AP

Old 04-12-2008, 07:22 PM
rsavage
Tourer
Default RE: Question re: removing clutch and crank sprocket

I am NOT speaking from experience, but it appears that there is a "Primary Drive Locking Tool" that is placed between the teeth of the engine and clutch sprockets in order to loosen either nut. PN is HD-47977. Take a look at section 6-3 " Drive Components". PS I could be all wet. Mine is an 08 manual.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to jam a small chunk of wood between the primary chain and the sprocket or clutch basket. simple.

I've never pulled the clutch on a '92. You might need a clutch basket removal tool. The Twin Cams come right off but those Evo baskets can be a bitch. My E84 used to give me fits. [:'(]

Old 04-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Pidgin
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

I tend to jam a small chunk of wood between the primary chain and the sprocket or clutch basket. simple.

I've never pulled the clutch on a '92. You might need a clutch basket removal tool. The Twin Cams come right off but those Evo baskets can be a bitch. My E84 used to give me fits. [:'(]
The previous owner of the bike is a family friend; he did warn me about the clutch. I'll try a wood stopper tomorrow before I break down and order the tool. Thanks!