Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New speedometer/tach combo

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Tnicean
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New speedometer/tach combo

I just got a new combination speedometer and tach for my 2002 Heritage. I have looked at the installation instructions and it seems to be pretty straightforward. Should be plug and play for me. Has anyone installed one of these? I can't wait to have a tach on the bike. I have been wanted this for a few years now. I got it from Zanotti's for a little over $300. I love their discounts and they set the mileage for me. Thanks for any help with the installation. I plan to put it in tomorrow and ride 340 miles on Friday to visit my dad and mom for the weekend in Tennessee. Supposed to be nice here in Richmond Friday. I can't wait.
Tnicean

Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New speedometer/tach combo

It's easy.It's been about 4 years since I did mine,but I remember it was pretty much plug and play.Just an additional pink wire to push in.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

Installed that on my Wide Glide and Heritage. Just follow the instructions and it's a piece of cake. I was really happy with mine.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's an easy job Tnicean...just a few simple hand tools and a few minutes of your time. It is plug and play, but I think for your model that there is an extra wire that you have to connect.

I buy all of my stuff from Zanotti...great prices and great people!

BTW...place a towel over the tank while you're doing this procedure...it will sure save some crying later. And DON'T ask me how I know that!

Good luck!

Steve

Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Airywhisler
Road Warrior

Looking to do the same here,

Old 04-17-2008, 01:12 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did this on my 2000 Fatboy. The instructions are very easy to follow. Kit comes with two pink wires (a short one for bikes with the pink wire already in their speedo harness and a long one for those who don't have the wire...this gets hooked to the tach and run up to the connector).

The pink wire goes into connector 39B (the harness end of the plug..not the speedo plug)pin 6. You need to ensure there is no wire in pin 3 on the 39B connector. The connector has small pink/red plugs in the unused pin hole slots. Pull the one for pin-6 out with small needle nose pliers (or with fingernails if you have them). Crimp on the short pink wire to the pink wire in the harness (or run the long pink wire into it from the tach). Put it all back together and you are done.

Really a no-brainer.