Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Springer Seat on a Fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:29 PM
FatboySteve
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Springer Seat on a Fatboy?

Hello,

I recently bought a 2001 Fatboy (with only 2000 miles!) and I'm having problems with seat comfort. I'm6'5" barefoot with a 36" inseam and the stock Fatboy seat is killing my tailbone after 20 minutes of riding. My legs are long and while sitting on the seat my knees are higher than my hips (and the top of the fuel tank) transfering all of my weight to the tailbone region. I considered forward controls with 3" Ness extensions but moving me feet forward only lowers my knee slighty leaving all of my weight still on the backside of my backside with no contact of my thigh to hold some of my weight.

After reading many threads here on the board about seat problems I contacted Mean City Cycles about re-working the stock seat to move me back (I'm currently sitting on the back edge of the seat).They told they could not help move me back because the softail designplaces the seat pan low on the frame and the fender arc /computer module limit the room the rider can be moved back. I also contacted C&C seats and was told basically the same thing. They said the best seat they had for me and my application would only have about .75" of foam over the control module area and they said it would not give me relief. Other threads here on the forum have sung the praises of the comfort afforded by the stock Harley seat found on the '01 Heritage Springers. I am wondering if the seat would fit my Fatboy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: Heritage Springer Seat on a Fatboy?

A heritage spiringer seat 01-up will fit..You may need to drill out the fender for the mounting holes...Look up member Harley03Joe. He just put the same seat on his Heritage Softail...Same set-up as the fatboy.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
jenks60
5th Gear

Do yourself a favor and abandon any idea to use any H-D seat at all. The Motor company should be shot for passing off those stock seats as quality. Get yourself a Mustang Seat and if you really want comfort for the long haul, get one with a back rest to take the pressure off your tail bone. You won't regret it.

Check out these link:

http://www.mustangseats.com/softail/softail.shtml#h

to purchase on go to this link for better pricing:

http://westendmotorsports.com/index....1648_1649_1659

Old 04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jenks60

Do yourself a favor and abandon any idea to use any H-D seat at all. The Motor company should be shot for passing off those stock seats as quality. Get yourself a Mustang Seat and if you really want comfort for the long haul, get one with a back rest to take the pressure off your tail bone. You won't regret it.

Check out these link:

http://www.mustangseats.com/softail/softail.shtml#h

to purchase on go to this link for better pricing:

http://westendmotorsports.com/index....1648_1649_1659

you may want to check with Mustang first. on the 3bikes I seen with Mustang seats (the one I HADand 2 of my buddies bikes, a Sportser and a softtail standard) - the Mustang seat pushed the rider forward as much as 2 inches. from reading your post, you want to move back not forward.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:15 AM
renoa18
Tourer

Contact mustang or Corbin. They make a great seat and ten times better than any stock Harley Seat

Old 04-18-2008, 07:01 PM
bdejong11129
Cruiser

I am somewhat in the same situation. 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I have a 03 fatboy and am dealing with the same tailbone issues. I agree that moving the controls forward may not be the solution here. I am however going to Mean City for a seat upgrade. I have a scheduled ride in appointment on the 15th of May. I will definately post how it goes. It is a bout a 3 hour ride from my house. If I make it without needing tailbone replacement surgery I will ride back the same day, but have plans for a stayover in a hotel as a backup. I should however be able to judge the effectiveness of the modification on the ride home.

I do realize that I may be moved forward a little but I hope the tons of extra comfort in he seat will help. If after that it does not make it right I may be a little pissed off, but I will pass that bridge when I get to it. All I know is the stock seat feels like concrete after being in it for a little while.

Keep us posted on what you do, if you find a better solution I may switch gears, Just be sure to do it before the 15th of May!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:02 PM
bdejong11129
Cruiser

rena18

Do you think that the mustang or corbin seats are better that a modified Mean City seat?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
bucholj
Cruiser

Does anyone have opinions regarding the Le Pera Maverick or Sorento seats for the Fatboy? Would they help for a tall rider?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 PM
pitbulldog
Road Captain

I ride an '05 Springer Classic and went through a lot of trouble finding the right seat. I tried a Mustang Wide Solo, nice seat, but it moved me too far forward. I tried a Saddleman Renegade II. I sent it back without even putting it on the bike, the workmanship was very low quality. I had my stock seat reworked, that didn't work out at all, all it did was move the pressure points to a different location. I was frustrated to the point of selling the bike if I couldn't get a seat on it that would allow me to ride 500 mile days. On the advice of a number of people on this forum I put a '01 Heritage Springer seat on my bike. This seat, with the rail and low pad, has made my Springer Classic a great long distance bike.

I agree with the comments above about the low quality of H-D seats in general, but don't count out the Heritage Springer seat, in my opinion, it is the exception to the rule.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:05 AM
soundlogic
Cruiser

I agree!! The Heritage Springer seat makes all the negative-HD-seat-comments null and void IMHO.
It allowed me to sit back at least another 2-3 inches ( I have since taken of the low back pad from the seat rail) as opposed to the cramped seating I had with the stock Deluxe seat, and it feels like a Lazy Boy recliner! Especially when in "highway mode", stretched out using the highway pegs.
Tim

[IMG]local://upfiles/46762/EFBD0BB5CFB54B86A6631131CBB5D42E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Heritage Springer Seat on a Fatboy?