Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool boxes on a 2007 Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:58 PM
bornagaincliff
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool boxes on a 2007 Heritage

I've just bought a pair of tool boxes for my 2007 Heritage. The dealer assurres me that the left and right hand boxes wiill fit on my Heritage, despite the parts book not specifically listing a left hand box for a 2007 Heritage. I've also got a bag protectors and the bag relocation bracket fitted.

Has anyone put2 boxes on a 2007 Heritage or any Heritage for that matter.

So far I've had a go at fitting theleft hand box butthe bags need to go back about an inch and that's with the so called bag relocator bracket. Has anyone managed to overcome this problem?

Is there a kit that moves the bags back?

I've not yet tried the right hand side because when I opened up thebox I found it contained a left hand tool box!

If anyone has any pictures of the boxes on a Heritage with bags they will be much appreciated.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tool boxes on a 2007 Heritage

I did it to mine. I had them on both sides of my 99 Heritage and loved the look, so I wanted the same on the 07. Bought the right side box first, it installs pretty simply, with no mods. Next went after the left side. It fits, but only if you can do some cutting and drilling. The mounting bracket had to have one of the top holes completed removed, allowing the bracket to be moved forward an inche or so. I redrilled the large hole at the top in between where the two original holes were. Then I drilled out the holes in the box itself along with the two small mounting holes for the box. Those four stayed in the same place, I just made them larger so I had some play in them. I used my own hardware with large fender washers and after a couple hours of playing it was on the bike. Harley could make it fit if they would re-engineer the mounting plate. Make sure you're not rubbing on your primary cover when you're done. You're not going to see very many Heritages with boxes on both sides bacausemany will not want to do the mods. It looks great.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have the right side tool box for my '06 Heritage Classic. Came in handy at Daytona--A guy with a brand new Big Dog chopper with his girl on the back pulled in and asked if anyone had a screwdriver. Said he needed to adjust his carb; it was embarrassing to keep having to restart every few feet down mainstreet.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:39 AM
bornagaincliff
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Thanks for the info on how you fitted the left hand box. Do you have any pictures so that I can see how you've done it and what it looks like? Also what is the Harley part number of the box that you used?

Old 04-19-2008, 03:13 PM
bulkman2008
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Put one on the left side of my 06 Heritage also , took a little bending and twisting and redrilled a hole but it will fit .

Old 04-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry, no pics. My daughter in law and son moved into their own place and she was the one with the camera smarts. More than anything else, you're going to have to experiment with the backing plate. I installed mine as is first and then started moving it around to figure out how to cut it and drill it. Sorry I'm not much more help than this but I did it late at night and probably spent and hour to an hour and a half playing with it. Install it loosely in the original position and you'll see how much it interferes with the saddlebag. Then you'll start seeing how much to cut the top of the mounting plate. I ended up cutting it two or three times, a little at a time, until the box was far enough forward. Then with the plate in place I used a magic marker to mark where the new hole needed to be drilled. Take your time with it, it will work.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't recall the part number but the package said it fit the FLST for our year. I might be wrong but FLST stand for FL Softail. How many models is that?