Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage bags are sagging, trying to make own re-shape kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 PM
bobbyd3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage bags are sagging, trying to make own re-shape kit

I have an '03 heritage classic and the bags lids are a bit saggy.

I have seen the kits you can buy to re-shape them but I really dont want to spend $100-$200 dollars on some plastic pieces. So I decided I was going to just make my own.

The problem I am having is that I can't find any plastic material suitable to do it with.
I Had envisioned just getting a rigid plastic sheet and then cutting pieces to make the bag rigid.

I was in both lowes and home depot picking up supplies for the house and searced through them both for something suitable but came up empty.

Anybody got a suggestion for something that would be good to use to re-shape bags? theirs gotta be something I can use.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Harley03joe
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Heritage bags are sagging, trying to make own re-shape kit

Well For $100.00 You Can Get Saggy Bags And Be Done With It, And They Work Very Well,
I Put Them In My 03 Heritage, And My Bags Also Was Sagging Bad, But There Like New Now
Here Are A Few Pictures, See How Nice The Top Looks Now

ORIGINAL: bobbyd3

I have an '03 heritage classic and the bags lids are a bit saggy.

I have seen the kits you can buy to re-shape them but I really dont want to spend $100-$200 dollars on some plastic pieces. So I decided I was going to just make my own.

The problem I am having is that I can't find any plastic material suitable to do it with.
I Had envisioned just getting a rigid plastic sheet and then cutting pieces to make the bag rigid.

I was in both lowes and home depot picking up supplies for the house and searced through them both for something suitable but came up empty.

Anybody got a suggestion for something that would be good to use to re-shape bags? theirs gotta be something I can use.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually made 3 sets now. The first set I made for my '07 Heritage. After showing off what I'd done a couple other folks asked me to make them a set for their bags. It's not real fancy, but it is cheap and seems to work okay.

I started with a basic pattern cut from cardboard and traced over my bags. There are 5 pieces, all which go inside the bag. The top piece goes on the flap. Use the top of the bag (outside) to cut your pattern just smaller than the total circumfrance of the top.

The 2nd and 3rd pieces go on the front (inside) and back of the bag. The 4th piece is on the bottom inside. The 5th piece is the largest and fits against the large wall on the side of the bag facing out from the bike frame.

I used a couple sheets of ABS plastic that I bought on Ebay. For the sheets and shipping it was less than $10. You can cut the stuff with a regular jigsaw or scroll saw (I like the scroll saw, seems like you have better control). Then use a commercial grade adhesive glue to mount them inside the bag. It probably took me longer to make the cardboard cutouts than it did to make the real cuts on the ABS.

After doing this I can say there are probably 2 reasons to go with Saggy Bags or another commercial company. First, the complete system as Saggy Bags probably has a little higher craftsmanship than what I made. But I figured that they were inside the bag so no one was going to see it anyway. Second, the system is supposed to be better at holding the bag in place. My system doesn't correct for potential corner sag, so I'll have to see how it looks after 5000 miles or more. For now, though, I've got $10 in parts and 2 hours labor into the whole thing, so I figure I've gotten the whole deal for $25 to $50 total investment.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

I saw these on ebay for like55 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SADDL...spagenameZWDVW

Looked at some of the sellers feedback and didn't seeing any saying that its a piece O' shi* item.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Harley03joe
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The Glue You Need For The Top Is E600 From www.E-600.com phone 1-800-767-4667,
I Think you can get it at homedepot or lowes
Have Fun And Good Luck

Old 04-18-2008, 01:24 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

Is that glue for the bagshapers that I found on ebay?

Old 04-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine from Kamcosystems, like 'em a lot.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 AM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

All bags sag w/ age eventually!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:45 AM
holsh06
Intermediate

here is what i did last year, i cut up a old compund bow case (two latches were busted) used a template i made out of cardboard cut out the shapes and then used that gorilla glue to glue it on.works great ,that glue is really strong has held up well. i should say my bags were not sagging yet,i did this sothey would not in the future.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19205/D6D1D2A818AE4CC391D3EC302D171C97.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2008, 11:35 AM
bobbyd3
Tourer

I just ended up buying the "bagshapers" kit that I saw on ebay.
I figured for $50 bucks worth a shot, I can return it if it doesn't work anyway. I didn't see any bad comments about them.

I'll let you guys know what I think of them when they get here

Quick Reply: Heritage bags are sagging, trying to make own re-shape kit