Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting clutch and cable froze - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:51 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Adjusting clutch and cable froze - HELP!

I started to adjust my clutch and didn't get any 'push back' from turning in the adjuster screw (using the methond in the DIY section). I then noticed that the cable was frozen and wouldn't let the cable housing slide on it at all... but it had been working fine until then. Either I did something wrong or it's a twist of fate, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on? The clutch plates are loose as if the clutch level is pulled, but it is 'flapping in the wind'. Is there a way that the clutch plates can be too loose and the assembly gets jammed? (I certainly have tried numerous minor techniques to see if I could get the cable to respond).

Thanks In Advance!

C#

Old 04-19-2008, 03:14 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Adjusting clutch and cable froze - HELP!

not really sure from your description but it your clutch lever is now " flapping in the wind" then what you have probably done is overextend the lever the cable that is attached to inside the clutch housing so it won't come back.A common problem that can happen if you adjust the cable

you will therefore need to open it up and allow the lever to "snap back". pretty simple job if that is the case.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

That was my guess... so take off my pipes, take off the housing cover, and everything should be ok. I was just surprised that there wasn't a stop that would keep this from happening... silly me. Yes, I screwed up an didn't put slack in the cable before I tried to make an adjustment (brain dead... I just turned 60 and I still can't get used to checking my memory each time! <g&gt so when I finally woke up it was too late.

Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts. I will go ahead with a little less trepidation now.

C#

Old 04-20-2008, 04:16 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ a fresh gasket I think

Old 04-21-2008, 06:18 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah...I got two! I try and 'work up' to a complete set of gaskets on hand so that I don't get stuck without one.

I tried tapping the housing to see if it would release... no such luck. I put chrome screws on the engine covers a while back and didn't install the one behind the clutch cable on the transmission, so now's my chance to do it. Silver lining in every cloud...

I'm learning about Harleys slowly but surely.

Thanks again.

C#