Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Heritage Softail Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:58 PM
jara97
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King or Heritage Softail Classic

I am a future Harley owner getting ready to go overseas and will use the Military Purchase program to get a new Harley. I posted on the General Board but wanted some more information about the Heritage Softail. I went out and rode the RK and the Heritage today and I really liked them both alot. Loved the Heritage feel and the bars and seat fit me quite well and it was though stock would have worked for me. I am 6'0 about 209 lbs. Wife will ride with me some but not alot. I thought the RK was a little smoother on the road with less vibration but I didn't like the seat or the handlebar position. The problem is I really like them both and I was looking for a little advice on the Heritage side of the house. Any advice, experience would be greatly appreciated.

James

Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Road King or Heritage Softail Classic

James
One of the first things I was told when I was looking at bikes was that you sit "in a Heritage and on everything else"....proved to be true to me, the Heritage is a really comfortable bike. I am also 6' and right at 200lbs, and I ride 2-up at times, never been as issue.
I tried the RK as well, but like you, I found a few things that were uncomfortable. So, i figured why take one that was unconfortable and try to improve it, when the Heritage was a perfect fit right off the floor.....also....take the money youd spend changing bars, seats, ect and put it on a nice set of pipes and other things to make the Heritage your own.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
jara97
Intermediate

Thanks for the good advice as I still ponder the decision. I did really like them both and the wife liked the Heritage look better and I am torn between them both as far as looks. I think the air ride suspension on the Road King is a little smoother than the heritage but again the heritage fits me a little better. Thanks again......

James

Old 04-19-2008, 09:41 PM
ggreenetx
Advanced

i own a Heritage and my son in law owns an 07 Road King. I love the way the Heritage sits and hate the width of the Road King seat. I have a bad hip and the Road King's seat is way to wide for me...just puts too much stress on my leg!!! Both are very capable on the highway, but as was mentioned you sit in the Heritage. I highly recommend the Heritage, but go with what you really want. Also I'm 6ft and weigh about 215.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 PM
PUBA ONE
Tourer

I was in the same predicament last year. Did a lot of road tests, and weighed the differences many times. It always came back to the Heritage, so I bought an '08 in the middle of our winter !!! well in spite of the weather, and having JUST getting it out, Ihave put over a thousand miles on, and never regretted my decision. Go with the heritage

Old 04-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Dickf5187
Cruiser

I have an 08 Road King Classic and an 07 Softail Deluxe so I can give you my personal side by side comparison.

The ride quality over bumps etcis surprisingly close. Slight edge to the FLHRC.

Slow speed handling goes to the FLHRC... the FLSTN tends to "flop" the front end. May be due to front end geometry differences. Although, in general the FLSTN feels more nimble probably because of weight and the feel of riding in the bike as opposed to on it.

Two up riding hands down the FLHRC. The seat configuration and size of the FLSTN seat isn't as passenger friendly. The FLHRC is like a sofa.

Overall riding position goes to the FLSTN. Except that I'm 6' and 195lb and I'm too close to the bars in stock form. Of course I'm to far away from the FLHRC bars in stock form.

Biggest complaint for each bike is the handlebars are too far away from the rider on the FLHRC and the back of the seat on the FLSTN is too fat and presses against my butt causing butt burn in about 50 miles. HD is supposed to have reach bars soon for the 08 and I've installed a Corbin on the FLSTN.

Styling is a toss up. Both bikes are the Pearl White/ Black scheme and I thing they are both very retro. Personal choice here.

Vibration advantage to the FLSTN with the balanced engine. At idle the FLHRC shakes enough to blur my vision!

If you want to take any long trips I think the FLHRC with the larger dimensions and storage is a better choice. Short trips either bike will do.

I find that if I'm going to take a ride much longer than 150 miles I usually ride the FLHRC. Short trips either will do but the FLSTN is fun to ride.

Hope this helps and either way you go you will have a blast. The "grin factor" is very high for both of these bikes.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:44 AM
jara97
Intermediate

Thanks alot for the side to side comparison. That really helps but I must say I am leaning heavily towards the heritage as I doubt I take alot of real long trips and it really fit me. I am a little concerned about the heat of the 96 since I have read alot about how lean it runs. I am not experienced enough to know what all can be done to adjust the mixture and make the engine a little cooler. Wife will not ride with me all of the time but when she does I would like for it to be fairly comfortable for her. I am around 200 lbs and she is about 135 and I think the Heritage would be fine for us. If I go with the RK bars and a seat will definately be top priority along with a backrest for the wife. Just seems like the Heritage isfairly road readyright out of the crate. Anyway learning a little more about the heat situation is my only continued concern. Other than that I am ready to order one.

Thanks again,

James

Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 02 Heritage and really love it. I have done so much to it I can't afford to trade, BUT if I could afford it, I would only do it for a RK and start the customizing all over again. Fun!
Marsh

Old 04-20-2008, 11:30 AM
07_Heritage_Rider
4th Gear

jara--- to address your heat concerns, the 96 does run a little hot. i have found that running
the h-d screaming eagle synthetic oil seems to help the engine run a little cooler. I live in the
south and haven't had any issues with the 96 getting uncomfortably hot or anything like that. Also, I had it down to the same 2 bikes before i bought mine. I agree, the seating position is better on the Heritage. I am totally satisfied with the decision I made to get the Heritage, I love that bike. It is very comfortable and a true pleasure to ride. Good luck on whatever bike you decide on. I hope the info on the H-D synthetic oil is helpful.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Harley03joe
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All This Is What Your Bike Will Look Like With The Springer Seat On The Heritage,
I Done It For The Back Rest ,
And Much More Comfortable
[sm=feedback.gif]

Quick Reply: Road King or Heritage Softail Classic