Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:03 AM
crossbones08
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem

Got the new Cross Bones yesterday & bought new grips for it to put on at home. Have changed out grips on my heritage several times with no problems, but with the bones my clutch is now not releasing. Didn't change a thing with the cable & all works fine electronically. So here we are nice day, new bike & not moving. Any suggestions????[:@]

Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
darkman
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Clutch problem

ORIGINAL: crossbones08

Got the new Cross Bones yesterday & bought new grips for it to put on at home. Have changed out grips on my heritage several times with no problems, but with the bones my clutch is now not releasing. Didn't change a thing with the cable & all works fine electronically. So here we are nice day, new bike & not moving. Any suggestions????[:@]
Sounds like the grips are thicker than the ones you removed and that your clutch has to much freeplay in it!! you can adjust out the play with the adjuster halfway down the cable!! 1/8 inch gap between lever n housing.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:25 AM
crossbones08
2nd Gear

Already thought of that & tried - didn't fix... but thanks...

Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's anything like mine, the bike will not roll with the clutch pulled in when not running. Once I start it it is fine. I thought I had a simalar problem, then put it in gear, held the brake and started it. It was fine.

Not sure if it is related to your problem though.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:32 AM
crossbones08
2nd Gear

monkyman- OH MY GOD!!! - thank you soooo much. This isone of those things that the Harley dealership should have gone over with us because that new switch is what controls that - LET'S RIDE!!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:36 AM
darkman
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: crossbones08

Already thought of that & tried - didn't fix... but thanks...
Ok, the prob is at the g/box end, its just an adjustment again but go to your dealer n get him to fix it under waranty!! Sorry i cant help more!!

All sorted i hope!!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:21 PM
MICHALISLARNACA
Cruiser

There is i very remote but possible chance that the ***** in the clutch housing jumped off the groves and are loose into the tranny box. Is the pull on the cable soft or hard? If it is hard then DO NOT RUN THE BIKE. IS the rear wheel spinnig with any gear in?

If yes you need to open the tranny box and inspect the pulley. If you are not sure about it have the bike trailered at the local dealer. Is is a very common problem with the 6 speed gearbox, especially if you changed the cable distance and rocked the bike about, If you are going to do the job your self you will need a new gasket and oil. (I would go for the BEL RAY oil which will take away any gearbox sound)