Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail lowering kit

Old 04-21-2008, 06:42 PM
dennyandnancy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail lowering kit

Does anyone have the info on how to adjust the lowering kit on the rear of my Heritage Softail. When I bought this 2008 it already had the lowering kit on it and I got no info. It is to low and my Longshots are draging going off a low curb. I want to raise it back up a little. Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Softail lowering kit

If it is an adjustable kit , all you have to do is shorteh the lenght of the shocks by backing up the nuts on the shocks. Thr longer the stud showing the higher the bike.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Instructions for adjusting with the bike on the ground...

1. Loosen the nut behind the crossmember where the shock bolts go through.
2. Tighten the nut that is in front of the crossmember, adjust each side equally, until the bike is sitting where you want it.
3. Tighten the rear nut.

If youwant to lift the rear tire off the ground do this...

1. Lift rear of bike
2. Loosen rear nut ( this will let the swingarm drop as the nut is turned toward the shock body).
4. When you have it to where it looks good while in the air, tighten the front nut and set it on the ground.

Think about it this way, the front nut determines where theride heightwhen there is weight on the rear end. The rear nut determines ride height when there is no weight on the rear end.

I like doing it while it's on the ground and adjusting the front nut because it gives a true ride height with the bike loaded under it's own weight. The lifted method may not be accurate because the rear may sag a bit under the bike's weight when you put it on the ground.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:56 PM
barhpr
Road Captain

http://fatbillscustoms.com/
Aren't you supposed to drag??

Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
dennyandnancy
Advanced

There are three nuts one next to the shock, one in front of the crossmember and one behind the crossmember. Do all three have to be loose to adjust? How far out can I go?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dennyandnancy

There are three nuts one next to the shock, one in front of the crossmember and one behind the crossmember. Do all three have to be loose to adjust? How far out can I go?
The one on the rear bolts the shock to the swingarm, don't mess with that one.

You can adjust it as high or low as you like.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
LiferUSMC
Stage III

Baron, what kind of seat you have on your bike? Also, what lowering kit did you use on your bike. I'm thinking of lowering my bike, but was thinking of lowering both the front and rear about 2" and was thinking of purchasing a kit to do it. Any suggestions.

Lifer

Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 AM
jacobwtyler
6th Gear
Default Deluxe same issue

I also bought an '08 Deluxe with the rear already lowered (and possibly the front too). How can I tell what kind of lowering kit was used on the rear and if the front was lowered at all? The floorboards scrape on any turn that I make (unless I'm turning at a crawl speed which can be dangerous in its own right if someone is following). I like the lowered look and I don't minded the scraping too much but I would like to adjust it just to see the difference. Also, bumps are super harsh... Especially on the passenger... My wife. On a contradictory note, I am installing a 21" tire on the front so I've read that it's good to drop the forks 1" and put in heavy fork oil (15 wt?). Is this a bad idea considering the floorboards already scrape?