Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Service - Bike Lookin' Good

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 PM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Service - Bike Lookin' Good

EDIT: This post used to be "Bad Service - Bike Stuck in Shop," but everything turned out great! So read the beginning post with a grain of salt. Guess I should have had more faith!

------------------------------------------

OK, so after75% of people who responded "white walls" to my white-walls or no poll, I've decided to pull the trigger........and stay with black walls, but get 80-spoke wheels. Thought in the end it looked better on my bike the way I have it outfitted. Thanks for all the responses, though.

But, here's the deal. I was hoping to have pictures by now. Today was the appointment I had set a week and a half ago, and it should have been in and out. I even ordered the rotors, chrome bolts, etc. ahead of time so it would be quick. Last thing I wanted was to have the bike in the shop for a week.

Turns out I get a phone call saying they discovered the front axle and bolt were cross-threaded and they need to put another one on to the tune of $71 for the part. I'm scratching my head but figure another dealership must have done that while putting on the chrome front end over a year ago. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder ifthey "discovered" the cross-threading when they were installing the new wheel. I givemy approval to put on the new axle. Whatwas I going to do? At least I knew they were working on my bike and it would be done today, right?

So, for lunch, I was in the area and gave 'em a call for status update. I didn't want to get homethen find a message on my answering machine saying it's done. Well, now they say they don't have the axle in stock, and the only shop that did is on the other side of the state. It's going to come to the shop UPS on Thursday (unless I spend $30 to have it overnighted). Today is Monday. It's going to be a long week.

I love life. I don't usually complain, and I'm not a dealer basher. But, I'm dyin' here. All because a "professional" didn't take a second to actually care about what they were doing. I can't tell you how many things I've added and changed and never once cross-threaded a bolt. But, this is not the first time a dealer has cross-threaded and ruined a part. [:@]

The silver lining here is that I have a lot of work to do this week to keep my mind off the sunshine, the bike and the road. Maybe I'll get more done, and maybe it was meant to be. In perspective, this was justtherambling rant of a spoiled boy and his nice toy. Rant Over.

I'll post pics when I get the bike out.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 AM
BTL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bad Service Blues - Bike stuck in shop

I'm just wondering how the hell can anybody cross thread (newbe or pro) a axle bolt and nut ,now the small dia. bolts and nuts I can see once in a blue moon.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Waltman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be glad they caught it now. And the wait, well, is not that bad. For instance, a few months ago I took my bike for its 10K mile service, no big deal and dropped it off Friday night to pick the next morning, ready to go out for lunch and meet some friends with the Mrs. Somy "stealer"calls meSaturday morningand tells me thatI have toreplace the rear brake pads which were almost all gone. So I say OK, do it. Shortly thereafter, got another call from the "stealer" and was informed thatthey found a f@K!ng big nail in the rear, dead center, and the tire had to be replaced (I remember Irode over something while splitting lanes the previous afternoon). Of course they did not have it in stock and they would get one in 3 working days (this was Saturday and Mondays they are closed). It would've been Thursday whenthey could have it ready. However I wasn't about to pay full retail for the tire, instead I told the "stealer" I would order the tire myself and bring it to him, which he agreed anddecided to replace both front and rear. The same Saturday I ordered the tires online, gotthem delivered by UPS on Tuesday late afternoon and had the bike picked up on Thursday as scheduled. No biggie right?? Weeell, Friday night got home OK from work and later decided to go out again to get some burgers, rolling the bike out of the garage I got that nasty feeling of deflated tires, WTF? This time was bad, I looked and sure enough the rear tire was almost flat and saw another huge nail in it, barely 100 miles old!! SOOOOO, I again ordered online the rear tire. Took the bike Saturday morning, explained what happened and my "stealer" felt sorry and decided he would give me abrake in the labor of installing the rear tire. Cool I said. Again, he agreed to hold the bike until I get the rear tire. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, next Wednesday morning he calls me and tells me that while installing the "newer" tire they foundthe previous mechanic had installed the wrong rear brake padsand should I have ridden it any longer it would've screwed up the rear rotor, no wonderthe rear brakes weresqueaking but shoved it off as nothing. When I picked it up, he apologized and gave me a 50% discount on the labor, but had to pay the balance for the correct pads. Like you said, some things are meant to be for a reason. In this case my "stealer" cared and recognized his mistake and did the right thing. Since then my relationship with my "stealer" has improved 1000% and treats me very well and I can trust him. Give yours a chance.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

OK, I found a shop about 20 miles away that had the axle & bolt in stock. My wife and I sometimes go out that way for lunch, so that's what we did and hand delivered it to the dealer where my bike is. (Their response was that they had checked all the other shops around, including the one where we found the part.) I asked if my back wheel was done, and they said no. I asked if the bike would be done today, and the answer was no. I was told I would be called when it is done (but there were no promises). I said I would appreciate them getting it done by tomorrow since my original appointment was yesterday, and I delivered the axle.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:57 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Waltman

Since then my relationship with my "stealer" has improved 1000% and treats me very well and I can trust him. Give yours a chance.
Yea, your're right. I usually give the benefit of the doubt. I'm a little over protective when it comes to my bike.

I just got a phone call saying they're working on the bike. Wow! What a surprise after they had said it wouldn't be done today.They called to say the wheel wouldn't fit. To be fair to the dealership, these are HD wheels with outdated part #'s that I got for $400 apiece from dealers on eBay instead of $700 each.My shopsaid they were the wrong wheels for my model! That it won't fit an '07. I told them mineis an '06. I was sweatin' because I probably can't return these, and asked them if HD makesa spacer/bearing kit that would make it fit. They said they'd call back. When they did, they said the wheels are fine, and that they just have an outdated #. Well, I knew that, and they guy at the parts counter knew that, but I guess I never chatted with the service department about it. Who knew service checks part #'s? Big relief though. And, I have a little more confidence in my relationship with the dealership. The bike won't be done tonight, but it should be tomorrow morning!

Don't feel too sorry for the shop losing out on wheel sales, since I bought my rotors, chrome bolts, front tire, tubes, hubcap, sprocket cover, fancy wheel weights, more chrome bolts, etc. there, plus I'm paying for shop time.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:25 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I recommend everyone have two motorcycles. That way you got a hot spare while the other is being wrenched on.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:15 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Alright!

Got the bike in my own possession. The shop really redeemed itself--went the extra mile and washed and waxed it!!! Everything's lookin' fine. I got all my old parts. Only 1.75 hours labor @ $60/hour. Plus, the guys in the shop, including my new wrench, Jim, couldn't get enough of the bike!

I have a meeting 2 hours away tomorrow. Looks like I'll be giving it a good spin!

I'm posting pictures under the title "New Wheels on my '06 Heritage"