Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Steve_m
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Deuce

I'm in the market for a used softail deuce and was wondering if someone could give me a link to some info on the changes that were made to the bike each year from 2000 to 2007 (styling differences, performance differences). The only change I really know of is the 88 to 96 CI engine. Any info would be great.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM
fatboydan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Deuce

The Deuce is now the ROCKER .... hows that for change

Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

Steve_m: I had an 2006; the only real change was moving from a carb to EFI. The 6 speed tranny and 96 cubes came out in 2007. Having a 96 cube on my UC, I still think the better motor was the 88.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
grumpez
Cruiser

Steve, the biggest change I know of was in 2007 with the 96" and six speed. Other than that the carb and efi versions. Also, get used to seeing "except fxstd" in the parts books, the Deuce is a different animal and not all softtail parts fit it. Another good place to go is the Deuce pictures forum at https://www.hdforums.com/m_191784/tm.htm. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Steve_m
Intermediate

Great! Thanks for all the info guys. So as for the styling from 2000 to 2007, were there many differences year to year? The reason I ask is because it is so hard to tell when all the pictures I see are customized bikes.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Apostle
Advanced

Didn't the earlier models have a 140MM on the back?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member

Not sure, I thought the Deuces where all the same except for the engine and transmission in 2007

Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 PM
AzDeuce
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a manufacturer known as The Motor Company, 2007 is a big year for Harley-Davidson. An impressive new 96 cubic-inch motor replaces the outgoing Twin Cam 88 in the Softail, Dyna and Touring models, plus the 6-speed Cruise Drive tranny is now fitted to all Big Twin families.

"The Twin Cam 96 has been the biggest new-engine program in the history of Harley-Davidson," said Skip Metz, Program Manager-Big Twin Powertrain. "There are more than 700 new part numbers associated with TC96. The only areas that didn't change are the cylinders, rocker arms, rocker boxes, and items in the top part of the engine. Crankshafts, connecting rods, crankcases, transmission cases, and all the transmission parts are new. We think this next-generation Twin Cam will set the standard for the industry."

This fresh mill gets its displacement increase to 1584cc via a stroke job from 4.00 inches to 4.38 inches. The engine also receives a bump in compression and revised cam timing, as well as numerous other internal detail changes designed to make the mill quieter and more reliable. These changes to the now-retired 1450cc TC88 results in a notable 17% boost in peak torque. Lighter con-rods and pistons result in less reciprocating weight despite the added displacement.

All Big Twins are now fed by H-D's Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) that has been upgraded with new 25-degree fuel-injector nozzles (instead of 8-degree squirters) that are said to offer better fuel atomization. The addition of oxygen sensors lets the Big Twin get away without catalytic converters in the U.S. market, and new exhaust systems with redesigned mufflers emit a burlier but still EPA-friendly bark.

The TC96B is the counterbalanced version fitted to the Softail family. Depending on the platform, the TC96 produces between 90 and 93 lb-ft of torque at the crankshaft compared to the 78-82 lb-ft of the TC88. The additional punch these engines have is something that is readily apparent to the rider, transforming an adequate powerplant into an eager one.

Also new to the TC96 is the six-speed Cruise Drive transmission first seen last year in the totally revamped Dyna family. Although sixth gear isn't a true overdrive, its 1:1 ratio reduces highway revs by 11% over the previous tranny's fifth gear. In addition, the Cruise Drivealso includes helical-cut gears that cut down on the whine inherent in straight-cut gears. Internal changes to a dog-ring design makes for lighter and shorter-throw gear changes, and it is claimed to be 28% stronger.

A new primary-drive system features an auto-adjust hydraulic chain tensioner system, a redesigned starter operation and better sealing. (H-D says this component is retrofittable to the TC88). A new carbon-fiber final-drive belt is narrower but 30% stronger.

An interesting new option available on all Harleys is the slick Smart Security System which operates based off a proximity sensor in the key fob. Simply shutting off the bike and walking away arms it so that it can't started. When the rider returns to the bike, the sensor automatically disarms the system to allow the bike to be switched on and ridden away.

the popular Deuce (which for 2007 is slammed 1.0 inch to a seat height of 25.0 inches).

Old 04-23-2008, 04:38 AM
ratsmow
Cruiser

Steve M, the earlier years they the seats were a little different to the later ones, they were a little bulkier. I don't think there were any significant changes until 07 like the others said. The 07's were 1" lower in the rear, the front footpegs were set further forward around 1", you'll notice the rear brake pedal leaver has a different bend in it to accomodate the peg repositioning, 6 speed for 07 aswell. Whatever year you get you will be happy with, cheers Rats.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 PM
mt325
Tourer

I might be interested in selling mine. Where you from?

Quick Reply: The Deuce