Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race - Fatboy vs Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM
mikef
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race - Fatboy vs Deluxe

I have a 2008 Fatboy with Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust, SE High Flow Air Intake and the Harley Stage 1 Download. I have the 96 cubic inch motor and the 6 speed.

My brother has a 2005 Softail Deluxe with Vance & Hines Long Shots, SE High Flow Air Intake and the SERT from Harley. He has the smaller 88 cubic inch motor and a 5 speed.

We are the same weight....

He can beat me out of the hole and all of the way thru the gears.

WTF? Does the SERT really make that big of a difference?

My brother thought maybe my bike isnt broke in all the way yet.... I only have1k miles on it and I have only had it 4 weeks.

My dad has a 2007 Softtail Deluxe with the 96 cubic inch motor and a 6 speed. He is all stock.Me and my brotehrweigh about 50 lbs more than him....... He beat us both. I figure that is due to the added weight....

Any thoughts?

I think I need to drive to Arizona or Nevada and get the SERT.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Jerseytwin
Tourer
Default RE: Race - Fatboy vs Deluxe

Have you switched bikes to see if the results change, some people do have the ability to get the power to the ground faster through their shifting style.....just a thought.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM
mikef
Cruiser

Yep we changed bikes several times. The results were the same each time.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
soulfish
Cruiser

you mean the 96" motor?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 PM
mikef
Cruiser

Yep.... 96 cubic inch. I will fix it. Sorry for the brain fart.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:44 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

If the SERT was done on a dyno by a good Tuner it isbetter than the factory generic stage 1 map. The stage one is a EPA compliant map so it is still lean and will not be getting the most performance out of your engine.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

A lot of factors here. A lot depends how the engine was broke in, etc. No 2 engines are the same from the factory.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
bubiker
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a '07 Fatboy with the big radius, big sucker intake and the Stage 1 remap and have actually been whooped by a stock Road King Classic ... I have to admit the rider of the RK was probably 60 lbs. lighter then me ... but considering the extra weight of the bike I was quite surprised.
I think the big radius although it looks good is not exactly performance oriented, I think something like a Rinehardt might be more appropriate if that's what you're looking for. I also think the transmission is partially to blame here. The 6 speed doesn't really lend itself to "drag racing" it makes for a flexible bike thought while at speed. In my opinion a 5 speed will always be faster on the 1/4 mile given both bikes are of similar displacment, no cams etc.
Just my opinion ... open to other suggestions here.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
mikef
Cruiser

I am not looking for speed..... but it did concern me that he beat me.

I figured with the 6 speed it just added a gear to the 5 speed...... Did they change the other gear ratios when they went from a 5 speed to a 6 speed?

Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer

Given that the stock bike beat them every time, I would have to think that it had a lot to do with how it was broke in and how it was tuned. Sometimes pipes just make it sound "faster". If it wasn't tuned by some one who knows what they are doing, then it may not have been done right. I would think that the shorter stroke of the 88 would beat the 96 off the line everytime. Given the fact that one is factory and one had been upgraded to the stage 1, somthing has to be a miss with the upgraded one. Need more details on who did the work and what was done to it?? Could be just a matter of lower octaine gas in one or the other? Don't know??? Have them all dynoed at a independant shop and see what they say???

Quick Reply: Race - Fatboy vs Deluxe