Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Pres1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security system install question

Hey guys,

Need some info. Just ordered the HD security system for my bike. My parts guy checked with the service department and they said it needs to be programmed by them before the bike will run. Is this BS? Is it something I can do myself? I prefer not to let anyone touch my Fatty.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Security system install question

Sorry, the dealer is gunna have to play with it. I did the same thing. You can install the module and go through a series of "do this- and do that" to get the bike to run, but the alarm wont 'activate'. The key fob and module need to be 'married' and only the dealer can do that. Do a search and you can get the print out of how to make your fatty run once you install it but be carefull. I tried it 8 differant times over a weekend and couldnt get it to work, so I put it back to stock.

There's another company, Security Dawg or something that sells a similar alarm system for about half the price. Same 'button less' fob and everything, all you do is replace the starter relay/module thingy with theirs and your good to go. Thinking of selling or returning my HD one and getting one of those. They're sold in the newJ&P cataloge

Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
WHarris
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed mine myself with no problems. BUT I have a carburated softail. It way pretty much plug and play except for the fob assignment which was no big deal.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM
SGTGunner
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a heads up. I was in the dealer today and asked them what it costs to have the fob married to the alarm. He said it's about 30 mins wich for my dealer is about $26. By the way, that's on sweet Fatty!