Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid level in Primary case

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
bdejong11129
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid level in Primary case

I changed the oil in my primary tonight and I have a question. The service manual states to put 28oz in and that the level is correct when you can see oil between the clutch and the inside wall of the primary cover. The illustration makes it look like the oil should be up to the edge of the primary cover, but after adding the proper amount of oil it is no where near what the illustration looks like. I obviousely did not add anymore fluid since I only removed about a quart when I drained it.

Is the illustration f-ed up or what? How do you determine when it has enough fluid in it?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Fluid level in Primary case

Are you checking it with it on the side stand? My 07 Heritage takes exactly one quart but you can't see the oil unless it's on the stand. If you can't see oil, try adding a small amount and go for a ride.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:49 PM
bdejong11129
Cruiser

The service manual said to check with the bike level and not on the stand. While I can see the oil in the bottom, its definately not looking like the manual. I did however measure the amount I drained and it was exactly one quart which is the same amount as I put back in.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I followed the directions from Shovelhead Bob...see if this thread helps you out:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1693879/tm.htm

Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What ever was in the Motor factory oil is what went in.

Motor Factory® Primary Case Lube
Motor Factory® Primary Case Lubricant, available exclusively from Custom Chrome®, is designed to lubricate the primary chain and clutch assembly in most 1984-up Harley-Davidson ® motorcycles. It is blended to perform well at extreme temperatures to extend clutch life as well as protecting the primary chain from premature wear and failure. As with all Motor Factory® motor fluids and parts, it is American made.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

ORIGINAL: bdejong11129

The service manual said to check with the bike level and not on the stand. While I can see the oil in the bottom, its definately not looking like the manual. I did however measure the amount I drained and it was exactly one quart which is the same amount as I put back in.
Maybe it was low to begin with?

MikeM

Old 04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
bdejong11129
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: deadman77

ORIGINAL: bdejong11129

Maybe it was low to begin with?

MikeM
That is what I was wondering. The manual talks about draining the case, which I did. I measured it out afterwards and the amount I removed filled the quart bottle that I put into the case. So I am certain that I put back in just what I drained out. I dont think it was low to start with since the manual states that you should add back 28oz after draining. Its more the description and the illustration that got me to question it all. The illustration looks like the oil should be right to the level of the lower lip. Jsut like filling a rear end on a car, you add until it start to drain out the fill hole and you are done. But it is not near that full. I can see the oil, but its not at the lip, and no where near it. Maybe its just the service manual for my year or maybe I am just overthinking this issue, but for what I have in the bike I want to be absolutely sure.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quite a few service shops just dump a quart of oil into the primary. It is only 4 ozs. more then called for and doesn't cause a problem. Too much oil will cause a problem, but 4 oz. over the recommended amount isn't enough to do any harm.
Tom

Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I just drain the old fluid, open up the inspection cover, and install 1 quart of new fluid.

Most of those I ride with do the same.

Never had a problem.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:02 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

you would think harley could come up with a better method
but yeh just dump a qrt in and forget it

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/F5C0CE372A87426DAB60F4437C6FE070.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Fluid level in Primary case