Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn sig question

Old 04-30-2008, 09:35 AM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn sig question

does anybody know if or how to take apart the front turn sigs on a 08 softtail. i would like to take it apart to get the wires out of it to relocate them to the forks, wire runs thru the bars and thru the switch housing, so to cahnge housings i have to remove wires from sigs and i dont really want to cut and splice, i am not sure if you can take the whole sig housing apart to get them out

thanks in advance

Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: turn sig question

You don't have to take the SL apart. Underneath your tank on the right side there are the connection for the SL wires. Take the plug apart and then take the wires out of the plug. No cutting and splicing needed, unless you want to. There are numerous threads on this topic, some with pics as well. Try doing a search and you will get all the info you need. Also getting a service manual will give you lots of help and save yourself some coin by doing it yourself. Good luck

Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 AM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser

thanks gunner for the input, i will do a search, and i have ordered a manual but it has not came in yet, i do want to do most of the mods myself if i can, and people like yourself and others make that easier
thanks again

Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Pres1
Cruiser

I've taken that connecter that gunner is talking about apart twice. Once for new bars and once to relocate my turn signals. My advice with it is to be very careful and patient taking the wires out of the plug. They are very delicate and only go back in one way. Also, be sure to keep a diagram as to what color goes back into what spot. On the turn signal connector, there are actually numbers to use for reference.

Concerning the tank removal, I was able to gently move my tank back far enough to access the plug without completely removing it. The crossover is what I wanted to avoid disconnecting ifI could because that eliminated having to drain the gas.PM me or post here if you need any other info.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is that the Rocker has the switch wires, and turn signal wires housed in the same sheathing. You can't just pull the signal wires out of the harness. You'll have to pretty much remove EVERYTHING from the bars, then cut the outer sheath off, remove the signal wires, then put the switch harness back through the bars.....

It's a bitch. I gave up on that idea.....at least for now.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:11 AM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser

you are exactly rite rocketman, thats why i did not put the new grips,switch housing and the rest on, until my turn sig relocate kit comes in, hoping to have all my mods done in the next 2 weeks. thunder beach this weekend and then im going to tackle the rest

Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 AM
skulznflames
Cruiser

Unless you take all the wiring out of the bars you have to cut and splice the turn signal wires.

Took me about half an hour to do the whole turn signal relocation thing by simply cutting and splicing. Simple job.