Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having engine cut-out issues with my 88 Softail Custom - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:26 AM
wh1tetrash
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having engine cut-out issues with my 88 Softail Custom - any advice?

I have a 1988 Softail Custom and find that the engine often cuts out while just cruising along - like as if something earths out and the engine just stops and then won't start again until the motor backfires. I have replaced the air filter, carburettor, and most recently the starter motor and it seems to run fine for a little while after i have worked on it and then the problem returns again same thing every time the motor just stops while going along and won't start again until it has backfired... Has anyone else experienced this with their 88 Softail? Any advice would be most appreciated cheers from the Land Down Under ;-)
Suzi

Old 05-04-2008, 08:06 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Having engine cut-out issues with my 88 Softail Custom - any advice?

Well, you've replaced 2 things that in all likelihood wouldn't cause the problem, and 1 thing that definitely couldn't cause the problem!

You have an ignition system problem. It could be something as simple as a loose connection on the battery, to a loose connection someplace else in the ignition system. Could also be a loose connection at the ignition switch, or the switch going bad. Another set of possibilities is the ignition module or the ignition pickup is crapping out. At any rate, the problem is caused by the ignition system losing power, then regaining it. When power is regained the backfire is cause by the excess fuel being ignited.