Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 ci starter knock

Old 05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
john lockwood
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ci starter knock

Has anyone got a solution to the loud knock the starter makes as it engageson the 2007 96 ci and do you know why it makes it?

Thanks John

Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 PM
GMul
Advanced
Default RE: 96 ci starter knock

I think I have the same problem on my stock '08 Heritage.

It's a dull thunking sound - like a loose bearing on a car. Sometimes the starter gets thrown out and it may take 2 or 3 tries to get a start. Happens when the engine is warm; rarely when cold.

Discussed it with my Harley dealer (didn't have the bike there). They don't know what it could be, save to say "Harleys are noisy", but I have appt for later in May.

One auto mechanic and two experienced Harley "wrenches" think it is a timing problem: if I understand correctly, the start timing is too far advanced and the piston does not have enough momentum to get past TDC before being forced back by the combustion. As a result the starter gets whacked.

Tried regular gas - no difference. Others on this forum have reported the problem going away after break-in.

Gary

Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM
DocTkd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 Softail Custom. It's my understanding that the knock you hear when starting is the compensator, a common and harmless effect. That said mine starts every time no problems like GMul is experincing.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:09 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DocTkd

I have an 07 Softail Custom. It's my understanding that the knock you hear when starting is the compensator, a common and harmless effect. That said mine starts every time no problems like GMul is experincing.
True, the clunk is the compensatorwhen it bottoms out...and no harm done...

Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

Mine is getting progressively better with break-in. I have just over 2800 miles on mine and it isn't nearly as bad as it was when I first bought it. It only makes sense that a starter on a 96ci motor is going to have to work harder than one on a 88ci. If the stock 96 had compression releases like the 95 (88 big bore kit), it probably wouldn't have the knock-back.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Simatank
Tourer

I have this on My 07 nighttrain but had never givin it any thought till now,but it is a good thing to know

Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 PM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

It is in the owner's manual that the starter effectively winds up and then slaps the motor to life.

Its totally normal with the big cylinders and high compression.

Mike

Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 PM
GMul
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Sarge4life

Mine is getting progressively better with break-in. I have just over 2800 miles on mine and it isn't nearly as bad as it was when I first bought it. It only makes sense that a starter on a 96ci motor is going to have to work harder than one on a 88ci. If the stock 96 had compression releases like the 95 (88 big bore kit), it probably wouldn't have the knock-back.
Thanks for the info.

Mine has 2000 miles and may be improving. Recently the engine has, on occasion, been able to turn a full revolution before starting normally. A good sign, I think. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"Knock back" - good descriptor for the problem

Gary

Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
MarkandMary
Road Captain

Good information, I will be looking for it when I pick mine up Saturday............

Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: john lockwood

Has anyone got a solution to the loud knock the starter makes as it engageson the 2007 96 ci and do you know why it makes it?

Thanks John
As mentioned by others it's the reverse load on the compensator during starter cranking. When the engine starts itrapidly rotates the comp the other way and bottoms the spring pack which makes the clunk sound as it is metal to metal. Since installing a tmax, I don't hear it any more. I attribute this to the map that I'm using as it only has 5 degrees advance at startup and fairly tame on startup. The shim I added to the spring pack may also have played a role in silencing it. Don't know what the stock ecm uses for advance but it will have an effect if it's higher. The noise is harmless to a point, but I'm glad that I no longer have to explain that noise to other people. Really got sick of that.[:@]
Ron