Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When the Fuel light comes on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 PM
SoftailNix
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When the Fuel light comes on...

Roughly speaking, how far can you go???

I have a 2005 Softail Deluxe.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Rocketman69
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: When the Fuel light comes on...

On my '08, the fuel light comes on when I've supposedly got 10 miles worth of fuel to go.....I've gone beyond that 10 miles with the light on, but it's probably a good idea not to let it get that low....just in case.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

On my fatboy, I can get about another 40 - 50 miles out of it when the light comes on depending if I'm on the surface streets or the freeway.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

this may differ on all bikes but what you can do is to check your mileage on your bike by filling up and setting one of your trip odometers to 0 now ride it until the light goes on. as soon as it goes on hit the next gas station you can find. fill the bike up and note how much fuel it takes lets say it took three and a half gallons you would have one and a half gallons left in the tank its a five gallon tank. now take the amount of miles you went on that three and a half gallons and divide three and a half into the amount of miles like say you went 150 miles divide 3.5 into 150=about 42.5 per gallon so you had a gallon and a half left when the light went on you would have about 63 miles in the tank when the light goes on. so to be safe you can figure 50 miles sounds complicated but its the way you will know your bike because this may differ a bit on every bike. I have a 05 deluxe and with my built engine i get 31 miles per gallon when my light come on i have over a gallon of gas left in the tank

Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just far enough to run out of gas. How much does your tank hold? When the light comes on, stop and fill up. How much did it take? The difference is how far you can go.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both my '07 softail and my '08 Ultra have about a gallon left when the light comes on - give or take.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:49 AM
souljah
Cruiser

another way is take a spear tank and run her dry measure trip from when light comes on

Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 5 gallon tank.

As soon as my fuel light comes on I can pump in about3.3 gallons of fuel.

Thats about a 1.7 gallon reserve, and at 42 mpg, I can goin theory,71 mi. before i'm pushin' LOL

My fuel light comes on at about 148 mi on the trip meter..so there is PLENTY of reserve fuel by my numbers on my Fatboy...

Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

the light is set to go on at 1 gallon. this is tru for all harleys that have a low fuel light. i agree, mine comes on sometimes and i only get 3.5 gallons or so in the tank, but that depends on how far you have the nozzel in the tank. i do not however, recommend riding too far after the light comes on, because i once was very low on fuel and took a curve too tight and the bike shut off. then my check engine light came on. no damage, but had to go to the service shop to have it reset.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM
SoftailNix
Intermediate

Well I dont plan on running out of fuel and I have a 5 gal tank, but just got the bike and it didnt have an owners manual so I was just curious about when in theory it comes on and about how far I could go. I have just put my 3rd tank of gas in it so I am still in the trial and error process of how far and what sort of milage I am going to get.

Quick Reply: When the Fuel light comes on...