Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions from an almost HD owner/Purchasing a Soft Tail

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from an almost HD owner/Purchasing a Soft Tail

Hi folks, This is a great site-you have really stocked it with lot's of info, and as a new arrival, it's very much appreciated.

I'm taking the Rider's Edge course at the end of May, and will most likely have a Soft Tail waiting for me to take delivery the day I'm done. Yes, I have been out of cycling for 30 years, but I want a Harley, so I'm going to get one and practice my butt off to become proficient and safe with it. I also received my Ride Like a Pro V DVD, recommended by many on this site, and will work on those principals as well.

It's between two, both 2008 Anniversary Editions.....that copper and black called to me and there is no other color! A Fatboy or a Custom. I am 6'5", 256lbs. both seem to fit fine, but the Custom allows me a more relaxed position with the controls more forward than the FB. I will be doing minimal in-city riding. It will not be my primary vehicle and will be mostly for day trips out into the Ohio countryside, and we have a lot of it. I am a 4 wheel fanatic and that will continue too move me in city traffic, plus driver's in Ohio are crazy so the less time I spend with them, the better.....

I am leaning toward the Custom as everything I have read here and my couple of HD friends tell me that the Custom is a little better at running the twisties than the FB. Plus I like the "mild" chopper look and airfoil rear bumper of the Custom. But those solid aluminum wheels and baseball bat-sized forks are working on me as well.

My question to you experienced hands: Extended warranty. 2 years with the purchase, of course. I can extend to 7 years for $1600. I am NO gearhead, trust me. I do, however, prep my car for track duty(oil, brake bleeds, brake rotor/pad changes, etc), but I would not pretend to know what to do if my HD started hiccuping once it's out of the basic warranty. I know enough to realize that everything with HD is in $100 increments, whether parts or service, so repairs out of warranty can't be cheap.

Does it pay to get an extended warranty on a 2008 bike that I plan on keeping for a long time, in your opinion? Or is the HD reliability now to the point that it's not really needed, especially considering that around here we have 6 months of riding weather, and the HD will have to compete with my 4 wheeler for seat time during those 6 months....mileage will probably remain pretty low over time..

thanks!

Jeff

Old 05-05-2008, 07:26 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior
Default RE: Questions from an almost HD owner/Purchasing a Soft Tail

To me the little extra you pay up front is worth it in the long run, But remember if you buy a 7 year warranty it only goes 5 years beyond the Factory warranty. I learned that when I purchased the extended warranty.
It is like insurance. Just piece of mind.

By the way, welcome to the forums

Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
blackness
Cruiser

If I had to chose between those two it would be the custom for me. I just like the look better (mild chopper describes it pretty well). Those floorboards on the fatty will drag more than the custom will in the twisties. Don't get me wrong Fatboys are cool too, either one will make you a good scoot. I really wish I had gotten a custom instead of my Nightrain...

/thinking of trading mine in/

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Pres1
Cruiser

Yo...hold on here....I like hearin' my footboards scrape in the corners.

I've got a Fatty and my buddy just picked up an 08 Custom a couple weeks ago. Gotta tell ya..they are both really nice machines. Completely different looks that will perform the same for the most part. I haven't ridden his yet, but I think it comes down to personal preference. I like the added comfort/flexibility of the footboards. You may want to look into extending your boards forward 2". Mine were a little close and I'm just under 6'.

Don't know if it's true, but it seems like there are more available accessories for the Fatboy. Possibly because of the popularity of the FLSTF?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:12 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!

I agree performance would be pretty close between the two maybe except for the 21" vs. 17" front wheels and the handlebar position. Sounds like you're doing a great job of research and rider education the only way to go if you've been out of it for a long time. I also agree I'd look into forward control extensions right outta the gate for either at 6'5".

I think it boils down to which one "speaks" to you the most. Buy it and don't look back, good luck let us know how it goes for ya.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 PM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I think they're both nice bikes even though i prefer the Fatboy. As for the extended warranty, don't waste your money - most warranties that people purchase are big $$ makers for the seller. $1600 over 7 years is a little over $19/month...save that money yourself and in 7 years you'll have a nice little nest egg for any problem that might arise. They also bank on the fact that most vehicle owners will not keep it [statistics show] beyond 2-3 years. If that's the case and you trade in you just lost alot of $$.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 PM
djcustom1
Tourer

I have a 08 custom 105th ann. And i love it, But i allso like baggers and may buy one this winter.The custom rides great but the skinny front tire makes for not as a good ride as a big front.Any way you go we will be happy.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'1" and have the described Custom. I put the Ness forward control kit on mine (pushes it out 3") and you'll definately need/appreciate it. My bud has an '03 FLSTI and when we trade, his rides rougher than mine. Just the front though. Taller profile of the smaller Fatty front tire may sure provide more cush, but I believe that overall the 21" is taller from the ground to the top height of the tire. Larger circumference= rolls over bumps better and smoother. That's why luxery cars come with big 'ens and the compacts come with 13". Just my humble opinion.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 PM
6165hd
Road Captain

Z06_pilot Congratulations, welcome to the forum....

I opt, to not go with the extended warranty, I have two more years to decide... They give you the Bla, bla, bla it will cost you 50.00 more..line, I want to spend the money on bling, figuring I have the first two year warranty. The 7 year plan is not any different for the first two years, if you dodecide.

I figure harley offers it to make money, not to dish out parts,,,, and I believe HD has stepped in up over the past years to make a dependable product and continuing to do even better... Harley doesn't make the money on the sale of the bike.... its you spending every weekend in the shop asking yourself what
can I buy next, chrome this, chrome that.... and if you get this part, then your going to need that part......HA,HA

Jane get me off this crazy thing![sm=bling.gif]

PS. Riders edge course- Rocks!! and if you got great instructors, youll be impressed by what you really don't know!! Im a better biker for it!!!

Have fun deciding your ride!!!! Cheers

Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extended warranties are, in my opinion, a money making rip off. You can buy a lot of repairs for $1,600.
Marsh

Quick Reply: Questions from an almost HD owner/Purchasing a Soft Tail