Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:22 PM
coatit
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1?

Just picked up a 2004 fat boy, injected. Came with Vance and Hines staggered bigshots as the only upgrade. What else do I need if the plugs are looking a little white and not so much tan?
Hope this is not too simple, forgive the newbie to the forum.
thanks in advance

Old 05-14-2008, 08:00 PM
ajaugust
Cruiser
Default RE: Stage 1?

Rejett the carbs. But, take to a good independent mechanic.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

He opened the exhaust but no stage 1 A/C or fuel management module....your running too lean if the plugs are white. Do you still have contact with the original owner???

Bone

Old 05-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If that is the extent of the mods you are planning, just get some IEDs and be done with it.
http://www.nightrider.com/

Old 05-15-2008, 12:21 AM
coatit
Novice

I might be able to find him. Really want to know what i should do next...SHORT OF AN Improvise Explosive Device (LUCKY).

Old 05-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain

Close but no cigar, they are add-ons that attach to the O2 sensors that fool the system to add fuel and richen the AF mixture which will cause the bike to perform better and cooler too. Does your bike even have O2 sensors???The IEDs and XiEDs are for '07-08 and later models...I think we need to look to the old owner to see if he did any other adjustments to the AFR, otherwise find a AF fuel module that will improve your performance.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 AM
ajaugust
Cruiser

Sorry coatit, I did not read your note as carefully as I should have. Your bike is "injected", not carbeurated.
If you can get some info from the previous owner(s), that would certainly be a great point to start gathering some vital info on your bike. Given the info you have here, I would say to finish what the previous owner started, i.e., a stage 1. Change the spark plugs, add a free flow filter (K&N), a fuel management system (Fuel Pak, Power Commander, etc.), map it out, and you will likely be in pretty good shape. There are maps on the Power Commander site with the V & H pipes and filter choices that will likely zero your bike in.
The other alternative (adistant one in my opinion)is to put stock exhaust back on and remap the injection system to help manage the heat.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vikingnomad
Close but no cigar, they are add-ons that attach to the O2 sensors that fool the system to add fuel and richen the AF mixture which will cause the bike to perform better and cooler too.
Two things wrong with that, first is that an 04 won't have the O2 sensors, or any of the wiring for it, so that's out. Secondeliminators can only fool the system just so far because even the newest versions of the ECM'sfuel maponly have a limited adjustment capability built into it, beyond that it goes into a fault mode and turns on the "Chcek Engine light".
Even if you could hook them on somehow the earlyier ECM that never hadO2 sensors probably has no self adjustment capacity anyway. Without the O2's to give it some kind of feedback any self self adjustment capability would bekind of a pointless.

IMHO Your best betwould be to get some kind of add-on fuel management system (PCIII, Fuel Pac, etc.) or get a SERT (but it generally costs more todyno tune) and have the bike dyno tuned. Unless your seriously contemplating some more 'major' internal engine upgrades I would not bother with anything more sophistocated like areplacement ECM (like a Thundermax w/Autotune, Daytona Twin Tech). They cost significantly more and will require you toeither get newer pipes or have yoursfitted with O2 bungs to accomodate the required wideband O2 sensors.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

sounds like its running lean. find out if you have a stage one installed it should have been done with the exhaust if you do then you will need a pc111 or fuel pack or harley race tuner to get it right. you will need a device that will let you over ride the on board ecm. this will help them if you want to spend more you can have it put on the dyno for a near perfect map.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 AM
fatboymark05
Intermediate

I have an 05 Fatboy with Big Shots stags, I am doing no other mods, so I just did the Stage 1, which included the free flow air cleaner..runs great.

If down the road you might be making other engine mods, I would go the power comander route.....

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stage 1?