Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipe mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Randall
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pipe mods

Im searching for anyone who has modified their stock mufflers on a 2007 night train. I have a friend who got an extra set and wants his bike louder than stock but doesnt have money to afford aftermarket pipes or fuel management systems. Anyone done this before with good or bad results? hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thank you.
Randall

Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pipe mods

It sounds as if your friend is limiting himself to taking the baffles out of the stock mufflers...they will be a little louder, but I can't say I'd recommend that option, especially if he's not going to invest in a fuel management system...I'm sure it's done all the time, and someone's going to say the bike runs fine...each to his own, but I wouldn't do it to mine...

Old 05-15-2008, 11:36 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

*NIGHT TRAIN*,
I'm one of the guys who's "done it" with no ill effects and didn't remap the ECM or add on a fuel managment system.Rode it that way for over 1500 miles with any change in to the plugs.
BUT, I didn't change the intake or actually remove the baffles. All I did wasknock out the blocking plate inside the muffler.
If you don't change the intake,just knocking out the plate doesn't change the total volume of air so there is no need toremap the ECM or add a fuel managment system.
It just soundedbetter, not perfect (in my mind) but much better.

Randell,
If you look at the top of the Softail section page, you'll see a pinned thread called DIY Cheap. Look in it to find the info your looking for.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 PM
stef
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Randall

Im searching for anyone who has modified their stock mufflers on a 2007 night train. I have a friend who got an extra set and wants his bike louder than stock but doesnt have money to afford aftermarket pipes or fuel management systems. Anyone done this before with good or bad results? hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thank you.
Randall

Check this out: https://www.hdforums.com/m_2278356/tm.htm

-stef

Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

stef,
Are you still running with themodified stock mufflers on your bike?
If you look at my sig pic you can see that I have since replaced mine with a set of V&H BR's. I also replaced the A/C & intake and the ECM with a Thundermax w/Autotune. Its bunch louder than with just themodified stock mufflers. But a lot of it may have to do with replacing the intake and the ECM.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:15 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Randall,
I modified the baffles for a set of staggered duals I got from a 2003 FXSTI. I took a hole saw to the seal weld at the back of the mufflers and when the weld was cut through, the baffles just slide right out. Next, I drilled out the existing holes in the baffles to a larger size and added a few extra on the outlet side of the center plate that most people knock out. I welded the necessary stuff onto the end of the baffle where I cut the seal weld to make them removeable baffles so I can modify them anytime I feel the need. These mufflers do not have catalytic converters in them. If yours have cats, I don't know what will transpire if you cut the seal weld and try to pull them out but I imagine they can be pulled out somehow.
It worked out great for me. It does take a great deal of time to drill out all those holes but it saved me a bunch of dough to just modify this stock muffler set to get the flow I wanted.
My bike has a 96" S&S Evo engine with an "E" carb.
Your EFI stuff may be able to compensate for the modification or not. It depends on how much increased flow is created when the sound you want is attained. Myself, I was looking for flow and if it stayed quiet, I would be just as happy but it did get a good bit louder than stock. Fortunately, for me, it didn't get obnoxiously loud for my taste.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goes to show there's always more than one way to skin a cat...I learn something new here everyday...

Old 05-16-2008, 11:50 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

NIGH TRAIN,
If we didn't expect to learn something there wouldn't be much point inreading some of these threads would there.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:15 PM
stef
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

stef,
Are you still running with themodified stock mufflers on your bike?
If you look at my sig pic you can see that I have since replaced mine with a set of V&H BR's. I also replaced the A/C & intake and the ECM with a Thundermax w/Autotune. Its bunch louder than with just themodified stock mufflers. But a lot of it may have to do with replacing the intake and the ECM.
Citoriplus,

Yes, still have the modified stock pipes on. Seem to be working out fine.

(Don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm going to leave another message in the Custom picture thread.)

Later. -stef

Old 05-16-2008, 01:29 PM
SAS
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

*NIGHT TRAIN*,
I'm one of the guys who's "done it" with no ill effects and didn't remap the ECM or add on a fuel managment system.Rode it that way for over 1500 miles with any change in to the plugs.
BUT, I didn't change the intake or actually remove the baffles. All I did wasknock out the blocking plate inside the muffler.
If you don't change the intake,just knocking out the plate doesn't change the total volume of air so there is no need toremap the ECM or add a fuel managment system.
It just soundedbetter, not perfect (in my mind) but much better.

Randell,
If you look at the top of the Softail section page, you'll see a pinned thread called DIY Cheap. Look in it to find the info your looking for.

+1 On this... I just knocked out the plate just like Citoriplus stated and have no loss of anything on my stock pipes. The reason I did it was that I like the look of the Stock pipes on the X-Bones. His DIY tip really did the trick.. O...BTW. Thnaks for that tip Citoriplus!!!

Quick Reply: Pipe mods