Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing my Derby Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Swedish Night Train
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing my Derby Cover

Hi, Just brought a new Night Train ( 07) and I was going to change the Derby cover with a Willie G cover, The original had a rubber ring in it, the Willie G has no place to have a O-ring or what they are called so is it OK to just fit it without this rubber O-ring ?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Changing my Derby Cover

No problem if you're talking about the derby cover and not the clutch inspection cover. If it is the clutch inspection cover you will need to use a gasket rather than the "o" ring. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Swedish Night Train
Intermediate

I changed it and when I started it dripped a small amount of oil, is this because I havent tightened it enough ?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:49 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Your bike has a different Darby cover setup than the older bikes and you DO need some kind of gasket or O-ring to seal it up or it WILL leak oil. If the one you got doesn't have the groove for the O-ring call around to the different shops and see if you can find a Darby cover gasket for it. If you can't find one you could use a tube of the gasket sealant made for rear axle covers. Just follow the directions of th tube as some brands need time (like overnight) to set up properly before you run the bike.

PS DO NOT get over zealous tightening up the cover screws or you'll be looking for a hilicoil kit to fix the stripped out holes or a new primary cover. Its just an aluminum casting so it won't take a lot of abuse before the threads get stripped out.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found some permatex ultra black hi heat rtv silicone gasket maker part number px #82180 and it works for all kinds of things. i made a gasket for my sportster and it never leaked. I have used it to seal air intake also and to make a custom filter for the sportster.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to get a flat gasket at the Harley house that will work. When tightening the derby cover, use a crossing pattern tightening each bolt a little at a time and as Frank said, don't over tighten the bolts.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
spikehyre
Road Master

The dealer should have sold you a replacement flat gasket with the derby cover. Get one on you won't have any problem leaking. Cheap fix.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Swedish Night Train
Intermediate

Cheers guys, will do that, onlypicked up the bike today and as its pouring down with rain thought I would add a little bit of BLING, will put the original back on till I get a gasket.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you bought it new it should have come with a gasket. When you go to the dealer for a gasket be sure to take the cover with you for proper fit.

You can use Permatex or some other gasket sealer but it can get to be a bit of a problem the next time you want to take it apart. Some of that stuff sets up like a rock.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 PM
518Train
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure your new gasket is a black solid piece it will have writing on that reads THIS SIDE FACES CLUTCH.or something like that.
I know this because i just did mine samething happened leaking just a little here and there.New gasket will feel like cardboard.

Quick Reply: Changing my Derby Cover