Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:26 AM
JonnyDeluxe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question

I have an '05 Deluxe with 8800 miles - yesterday after about 100 miles I noticed it was getting difficult to get it into first gear. All the other gears shift fine, but I have to really push hard on the shifter to get into first when moving, and when shifting from neutral it grinds before it clunks into gear, and sometimes takes 3 or 4 tries to get in gear. After it cooled down for several hours I tried it again, but it acts the same when it's cold.

I bought the bike in December with 6800 miles, so don't know what all may have been done to it before, but up to now it's worked perfectly. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas about what could be going on with it? Thanks very much!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:53 AM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission question

Check your clutch adjustment. With the bike off. Put the bike in first gear. Pull the clutch in. Try to roll the bike forward or backward. If it does not go freely the clutch is dragging to much and needs to be adjusted. The clutch cable will stretch over time and the play needs to be taken out.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:14 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Its far too soon for the clutch to be worn out unless something is very wrong. So if the adjustment seems OK pop off the inspection cover and check to make sure there is the right amount of oil in the primary. If the level is low you can get dragging and premature wear of the plates.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 PM
JonnyDeluxe
Intermediate

OK, I feel stupid now....I was getting ready to pull off the inspection cover, which got me at to right angle to see the thumb sized rock lodged under the shift linkage. Rock removed, problem resolved!!! Thanks for the suggestions though, I appreciate the help!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:55 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Now I know that some of the metric bike riders think a Harley tranny is more like a rock crusher than one of their "Swiss watch" things. But really we don't need people trying to help them prove their point, do we?
A rock in the linkage, well that's not something you hear about every day. At least I can't remember ever hearing about it before. Seen about everything from rocks towire fencing get caught up and jam in the running gear and suspension of offroad trucks and Jeeps, but rocks in the linkage of a Harley is definatly a new one on me.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 AM
tobyhd1
Tourer

Well,at least it wasn`t a birds nest.Toby