Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage rack on 08 Fatty

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 PM
cougar12
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage rack on 08 Fatty

I am bout to buy luggage rack, sissy bars, pasanger backrest, etc. Looking in the catalog I've noticed that Detachable Sissy Bar Sideplates come with directional relocation kit. Now here comes the noob question - what exactly needs relocation? I hope I don't have to relocate my signals just to install a luggage rack... Thanks!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 PM
davemans
Stage II
Default RE: Luggage rack on 08 Fatty

Not sure about the pre-reqs for luggage rack, but I had to install a directional relocation kit on my 03 Fatboy in order to install the passenger backrest. Kit comes with diffrerent mounting adapters that move the lights slightly rearward, and mount them from the last hole in the chrome fender support brackets. The extra room is required in order to mount the hardware for the backrest.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:57 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

since I didn't do this - I may be speaking out of my hat.... but, the taillight post (the oblong part that sticks out from the fender that the light mounts to) is changed to a small round post. this is to accomadate the largerdetachable side plates. you don't use the relocation kit when using the rigid side plates.

ask yourself - am I gonna be rountinely taking off the luggage rack and back rest?? or do I want them to stay on the bike permanently..... of course, if you use the rigid plates, you can still remove the rack and backrest by removing the 4 bolts.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM
drummguy
Stage IV

I have an 07 fat boy and I had to relocate my signals when I installed my sissy bar and luggage rack.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:18 PM
drummguy
Stage IV

I put the detachable on mine because I put the mustang seats on mine. I can take the sissy bar and back seat off for a solo seat look in under five minutes.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Pres1
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: drummguy

I have an 07 fat boy and I had to relocate my signals when I installed my sissy bar and luggage rack.
+1

Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 PM
mikef
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: aviator

since I didn't do this - I may be speaking out of my hat.... but, the taillight post (the oblong part that sticks out from the fender that the light mounts to) is changed to a small round post. this is to accomadate the largerdetachable side plates. you don't use the relocation kit when using the rigid side plates.

ask yourself - am I gonna be rountinely taking off the luggage rack and back rest?? or do I want them to stay on the bike permanently..... of course, if you use the rigid plates, you can still remove the rack and backrest by removing the 4 bolts.
You are correct.... that is exactly what the relocation kit is.... smaller mounting post. It is simple. I have the detachable sissy bar and the luggage rackmounts to the sissy bar. So when I ride solo I can get rid of the sissy bar and luggage rack. I like the way the bike looks better with it all off.