Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:57 PM
*J*
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer questions

Hi folks.
I might be "falling into" a deal to get a Springer Softail. This will be my first Harley. I currently ride a Kwacker, so Im kinda exited. My question is, how does the springer ride? Is there anykind of problems asociated with a springer I should be aware of? Do's/dont's?
How dificult would it be to swap out the springer for a regular front end if I didnt like it? Thanks for the coming help.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:18 PM
highbars92
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Springer questions

I have a 92 springer and the only problem that the springers have are the bearing in the steering head need to be replaced every so often. You'll feel a flat spot when you turn the handlebars. It wasn't too hard to replace just had to cut out the races with a dremel. Other than that you will enjoy it.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

My first Harley was a Springer. I bought it in 05 and it has given be excellent service.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:27 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

All I can relate to is the XBones which is configured like the Springer Softail. The Springer is a very enjoyable ride. In parking lots, etc. you can tell that the Springer is up there since it is one of the heavist front ends HD makes, but on the road it is very stable. I live in East TN and love to ride the curves up at Deals Gap, etc. The Springer takes to the curves like a duck to water. I was very impressed the first time up there. There is a little more maitenance on the Springer front ends, but nothing huge. The newer Springers have less issues with the head bearings than the older ones. Tells one thing, the Springer is an attention getter. Everywhere I stop, people comes over to check it out or yells "nice bike". They just have a great look to them.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love mine, very stable handling given the extra weight up front. And you cant beat how purrrdy they are.

The following users liked this post:
HillbillyRick (10-08-2023)
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 AM
*J*
Banned

Thanx guys. I guess there arent really any issues. Good to know.
What about changing out the front end? Can you swap out a springer for a standard front end pretty easily?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 AM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: *J*

Thanx guys. I guess there arent really any issues. Good to know.
What about changing out the front end? Can you swap out a springer for a standard front end pretty easily?

I have had one for quite a while now and really enjoy it. Like anything else you just need to give it the care and attention it requires. When I first got mine, the bike was used, and the steering and ride was OK but I didn't expect much from a springer. Then I took it in for a once over at the dealer and they where like man your front end needs service BAD!! 350.00 later I was rolling down the road and it was a night and day difference. I have had a lot of bikes but this is my first springer and I would have to say it is one of the nicest riding front ends. Not to mention the character it gives the bike, everyone comments on them.

As for swapping out front ends as long as you picked a front end for the correct year softail, I assume that is what your looking at, I don't think it would be an issue. As far as it looks in that manual the neck of the frame is the same and it is just a matter of which frontend they hung on the bike.

What kind of springer you looking at?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Airywhisler
Road Warrior

Change the front!!! Don't do it, you'll regret it in the long run.Very neat and different style, classic is all I can say. Just my 2cents

Old 05-19-2008, 11:08 PM
wtf6316
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a 95 Bad Boy. Loved the Springer. It was lowerd and still road great. You might hear the spring when you ride but thats normal.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
*J*
Banned

ORIGINAL: skullhead

What kind of springer you looking at?
Springer Softail. I think its an 89. I wont be able to see it for a couple weeks. The guy who has it doesnt know much about harleys, so I dont think I can give you more than that. Well, I dont know much about them either, so I shouldnt talk. I only know what Ive picked up here,after all.

Quick Reply: Springer questions