Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Haines pipes on a Fatboy... Do I need a tune?

Old 05-18-2008, 09:07 PM
M.I.Fat Boy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & Haines pipes on a Fatboy... Do I need a tune?

I plan to self install the V&H big shot staggered onthe 2008 Fatboy. The question is, will the bike need a EFI system tune or am I good to go after the install?

Thanks!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:20 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain
Default RE: Vance & Haines pipes on a Fatboy... Do I need a tune?

Used to be that you only needed the download/fuelpak, etc if you opened up the intake and exhaust. However, these days as lean as the new bikes are and going to a open pipe, you may have to tune it. Try it and see if you get a lot of popping and stuff associated with extra leaness. Personally, you won't get any performance with just the pipes. Go ahead and put on the K&N airfilter and open airbox along with pipes. You will tell a noticable difference in all aspect of the bike afterwards. Just think...the HD is just a money pit so just try and not think about it and just do it

Old 05-18-2008, 09:58 PM
mikef
Cruiser

I put on V&H pipes and the SE Air intake.... Then I did the HD Download. It was a waste of money. Now I am doing it right and I am going to get the SERT or PCIII and a dyno tune.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:07 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel management and a dyno tune from someone who knows how to do it right or just get a Thundermax autotune.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Barberg
Cruiser

Put the pipes on. Open up the air. I suggest the big sucker and get the V/H fuel pack. Do it right. The same as you, I researched this and reaserched this before I did it. These bikes are set really lean from the factory. I put on Big Radius and ran her for about 100 miles and then pulled the plugs. They were halfway white and not just on the tips so I decided to open up the air and go with the fuel pack.Your bike will run much cooler, and you will have much better throttle resonse. If you just do pipes and keep reading the different posts on this subject, you will just become more indecisive and take longer to do it right. pend the money and protect the invesment.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 AM
M.I.Fat Boy
Intermediate

Gentlemen, thank you for the information. Different opinions, but I'm reading the following:

-The tune has to be done to correct the lean condition.
-The intake also needs upgrade.

I'm also reading words like "Thundermax autotune", "V/H fuel pack", and "SERT or PCIII". Do all of these methods require a dyno tune? I ask because so far I know of no reputable local tuner that I can trust, so if the dyno tune is absolutely required I will have to hold off for the whole pipe and intake upgrade until I'm able to locate one.

Let me know, thanks for the advice!

Old 05-19-2008, 05:35 AM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

The bike is lean to start with. You will most likely need some time of fuel management.
Try it and see if you get the decel pop. Probably. If so, go with the Hi Flow air cleaner of some type and fuel management. There are a ton of threads. I am using a PCIII and it seems to work just fine.
MikeM

Old 05-19-2008, 06:55 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd so a little research so you can appreciate whatever your decision may take you. Ride the bike for first 1000 miles and enjoy, that will give more time to investigate.

Essentially, ThunderMax autotune, install it, ride scoot, autocorrects using closed loop; no downloading of maps, no dyno tuning; a little pricey, but if you add in the dyno time, and map downloading, your almost there anyways.

The following site has a wealth of info about what your asking.
Follow this link: http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/

Read the following articles:
[ol][*]http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/m...efi_basics.htm[*]http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...erformance.htm[*]http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_heat_00.htm[/ol]May want to also look at this:
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/ied_product_line.htm. Pretty cheap solution to heat problem. I'm in the process of acutually building them, even cheaper. We started a thread specially for it: https://www.hdforums.com/m_2836828/tm.htm
also, wealth of info right here on this forum. Checkout the EFI section:
https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_264/tt.htm

There's one thread that had a matrix of the tuners with capabilities. I'll try to find it for you.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 AM
ozzy07840
Cruiser

i have a 07 fxst and had the rush slip on mufflers because i was afraid and too cheap ] to go to a full system .. well i talked myself into it and went for the v&h shortshots with the fuel pak and a k&n high flow filter ,WOW what a big difference !!!the bike runs much better ,sounds much better and runs alot cooler ,and it feels like it has more power ... i wasted my money on the slip ons and should of went with the full system in the first place if i knew how much better the bike would be... it cost me about 700 bucks for everything and i installed them myself but it was the best 700 ive ever spend ....

Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 AM
RomeoKilo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I get some V&H big radius pipes, and athundermax autotune canI can do it myself and dont need to take it to a shop?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vance & Haines pipes on a Fatboy... Do I need a tune?