Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Brace

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:45 PM
mt325
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Brace

I have a S/E fork brace on my Deuce and don't like how it beefs up my front end. I was told that any hard riding over 75 yolu should have one. I ridemy scoot hard and average 80 on the hwy. What is everyones take on fork braces?

Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fork Brace

Leave the fork brace and get a good life insurance policy or take it off, slow down and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hitting rough road at speed...........My brace gives me much better control than i had without it. I would not go back to no brace......that's my opinion [&:]

Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Either keep it or get a different one you like the looks of better.
But if your going to ride fast or on rough roads you really should have one, but that's justmy opinion.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 PM
twiceretired
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm torn about a brace. I've used them on Triumphs and Hondas, but not the HD. What specifically do you notice in the way of improvement? What I'm fighting now is a high speed "oscillation", for lack of a better word, in the corners. Already have Progressive front and rear. Thanks. Frank

Old 05-30-2008, 11:34 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: twiceretired
I'm torn about a brace. I've used them on Triumphs and Hondas, but not the HD. What specifically do you notice in the way of improvement? What I'm fighting now is a high speed "oscillation", for lack of a better word, in the corners. Already have Progressive front and rear. Thanks. Frank
With the small (relatively speaking) diameter and length of its fork tubes and a skinny front tire. A big twin Harley is at least as suseptable to the "high speed 'ocsillation' in corners as any lighter weight sport bike and maybe even more so given its overall size and weight.
Most of the wobble in a front end is caused primarily by slop in the overall suspension (fork tube) system. If there is any slop its going to wobble, its inevetable. Thefork brace helpsadd some rigidity by locking the lower legs in a box structure with the axle. Locking the lower fork legsprevents them from rotating in different directions and that will significentlyreduce the wobbles.
Nothing however is perfect and because there is always someslop in the way the upper and lower fork tubes fit together you will get some wobble from that. Unfortunatly its something thatonly gets worse as time and wear take their toll on it.

Frank too

Old 05-31-2008, 04:55 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Fork braces do a great job stiffening up your front end. They help on hard turns, rough roads, and especially on bikes with single rotor front brakes. To see how much it tightens the front end, without the brace on, stand in front of the bike and hold the front tire firmly between your knees while trying to turn the handlebars. You will see your front fender flex and back and forth dramatically from where the fork tubes are trying to go in different directions. Put the brace on and try it again. The fender won't hardly move at all.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM
WAhog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Would a brace be of any use on a Fatboy or are the forks too beefy already (note it only has a single rotor brake setup)?

Old 05-31-2008, 03:42 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

ORIGINAL: WAhog

Would a brace be of any use on a Fatboy or are the forks too beefy already (note it only has a single rotor brake setup)?
Haven't seen a brace that can be used on a fork with the beer cans (FatBoy, Heritage, etc.). No place to attach it. I've got an idea for one, but it requires losing the front fender. No problem for me 'cause I don't have fender.