Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new V&H quiet baffles

Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed new V&H quiet baffles

I have V&H BSS pipes on my Deuce. When I got it, it had the loud baffles, which may as well not even be there. They are nothing but a heavily perforated 1 3/4" sleeve that does little to nothing to reduce noise or add backpressure. I don't mind the noise out on the open road, but I got tired of having to pussyfoot around town and my neighborhood to attempt to avoid being overly rude. My biggest problem was the lack of backpressure. When I really layed into it hard, that was nice, but for normal riding it sucked. It caused all kinds of idle issues, lean issues, coughing and sputtering, etc.

After $60.00 with shipping from cyclespot.com and about 15-20 minutes work, the bike is much more to my liking. I don't know how many decibels quieter it is now, but it's very noticable. All the high pitch rattle sound is gone from the exhaust, and the tone is much deeper, mellower, and throatier. It actually sounds much better to me, and is much quieter. The bike idles a little smoother and faster, off idle throttle is much more responsive, and I can open the choke all the way without ragging the bike for 15 minutes to get it hot enough to idle. All in all, it seems smoother now too, and if I lost any top end power at WOT, it's barely noticable.

I would strongly recommend the quiet baffles to anyone who rides a lot. They seem to be much better overall for driveability and noise without spending a ton of money on dyno runs and rejetting, or retuning the fuel management system.

I've only ridden about 100 miles on them so far, but I'll try to give a long term update in this thread once I've put a few hundred more miles on them and checked out fuel mileage differences, spark plug condition, etc.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM
bulkman2008
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Installed new V&H quiet baffles

Very nice looking bike .

Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 PM
ImYourHuckleberry
Road Master

Thanks you sir. I should update the sig pic though. It looks a little different now, as I've changed a couple things.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same experience with my sportster.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 PM
AzDeuce
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly the same experience I had when I installed my BSS last year. Then installed the quiet baffles.I would also recommend them. ...They are still plenty loud on accell

Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

I put a set of them in my Straight Shots (even though V&H told me they wouldn't fit, they did... perfectly!), and I agree with everything you posted. I like the tone WAY better than with the stock baffles - VERY deep and throaty now.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-31-2008, 01:53 AM
bdejong11129
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got them in my Pythons and I love them, they did change a bit after a few hundred miles. I think the fiberglass packing wears out fairly quickly, but he sound is still deeper and the bike at least in my opinion runs better. I love them and will never remove them from my pipes. Like you the origional baffels were no more than foot long perforated tubes. the Quiet baffels are a great item and well worth the cost.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree i am also running the quiet baffles in my true duels and i like them a lot . when i twist it they really come alive

Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM
WAhog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I fitted V&H BSS to my 08 Fatboy, had the same experience. Then I changed to SE211 Cams and any decrease in the noise seems to have been reversed, although still have the deep note. The dealer also said that they couldn't get the most power out because of the baffles, but who knows whether to believe anything they say!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:48 AM
eagle56
Road Captain

qiet baffs in mine too not much quieter but the sound is better no other mods.
Mines the same colour as WAhog it looks realy nice when the sun shines on it and different.(pewter pearl)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed new V&H quiet baffles