Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:38 AM
burg54
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help a newbie

Hello everyone! I just bought my first HD and I need to set it up to fit me. I am not familiar with all of the lingo, but I am hoping to learn, so please don't mind my ignorance. I am 6'6" tall and have a 2005 Softail Standard FXSTI. It was previously owned by a short guy. I think I need a different seat...I feel like I am setting on the tank...and my friend told me the handlebars are called "drag bars"...and the are way to close to me and to close together. It has forward controls, which help, but I am very uncomfortable on the bike right now. My friends said that I could set it up to fit me...so I figured this was the best place to get some advice. Thanks in advance.
burg54

Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 AM
chipsbandit
1st Gear
Default RE: help a newbie

pretty straight foward. i'd look into purchasing another seat, mustang, and handle bars, apes of some sort. with changing bars you also may have to re-cable and wire the bike.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:21 AM
BlackDragon
Tourer

Congrats on the new ride burg

I have 3" ext on my forward controls that make a huge difference on my bike. Also had them on my previous softail.
I always felt like my legs were not able to stretch out.

I also have a retro seat on my custom which puts u back as far as possible and sits U low.

HD also make a seat that will sit U back further but sits U higher as well. May be something to look at but I thinkk they are Ugly as.
Go to HD site and browse the accessories.

My 3" ext are from Ness and just move your standard control forward.
pic of exts below.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:33 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

+1 on the Ness forward control extensions. I have them on my bike and they made a world of difference, and I'm 'only' 5'10". I have a harley sidekick seat, it's way more comfortable than the badlander seat which I had before (my opinion). Apes would probably be a better choice for you. I would recommend getting a set with separate risers so that you can adjust them to fit you comfortably. I'm not sure what height but at some point they get 'unstable' at highway speeds. I think 14 or 16s are the highest you can go before they get the wobbles at high speeds. Check out jp cycles, drag specialties and the harley catalog, and browse this forum for ideas.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:09 AM
burg54
Cruiser

Outstanding! This is what I was hoping for... Thanks for the pics also!