Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you wear riding?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:25 AM
dwilzen1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you wear riding?

I am still new to the harley riding experience and was curious about what is and is not acceptable to wear while riding. For instance, How many wear shorts on occasion, or gym shoes? Don't see to many harley riders wearing casual clothes like this. Guess I'm gonna have to invest in some boots and leather.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Solitaree1
Road Master
Default RE: what do you wear riding?

I wear a thong, some flip-flops and some suntan lotion.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

No bs, wear what you like. When I ride its a T-Shirt (or sleavless T-shirt), Jeans, Leather Boots, Matco Work Gloves, and my Kalifornia mandated helmet .

You want to wear shorts? go for it! No one says you have to wear long pants! ....but I dont recommend it. Gym shoes are fine, but you have no ankle support if you go down.

I dunno, I guess Im just a T-shirt and jeans kinda guy. Ill throw a collard shirt on if I go out with a lady, but other than that....

Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 AM
dwilzen1
Intermediate

Its hard not to want to wear shorts when riding in 90 degree weather. don't wear the helmet as much as I should either. I'll leave the thong for my passenger

Old 06-03-2008, 01:52 AM
evilmonkey
Cruiser

Okay, nuff with the funny stuff. Wear what you want but remember this, if you fall down is it going to help protect you. Walk out to the street bend over and rub your hand on the pavement and imagine your self sliding along on your side or back on that at 30 mph or 60 mph and then decide what your going to wear. Don't go overboard just be aware that leather is better than a t shirt and shorts.
I ride in a T shirt, leathervest, levis and boots, comfortable set of gloves and a half shell helmet. Then Wear a leather jacket and chaps when it gets colder! Good set of boots that won't come off if I fall. And I have been down and pavement rash sucks big time and picking out all the little rocks out of your skin isn't fun either.
Wear what you feel like, Its all about you and the ride. If you want to wear a thong as mentioned above go ahead nobody else's opinion counts or should matter. They make some nice stuff now in kevlar thats even better than leather.
Stay Safe and enjoy the ride!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 AM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dwilzen1

I am still new to the harley riding experience and was curious about what is and is not acceptable to wear while riding. For instance, How many wear shorts on occasion, or gym shoes? Don't see to many harley riders wearing casual clothes like this. Guess I'm gonna have to invest in some boots and leather.
Clean underwear!

I shake my head when I see a rider wearing full leather gear when it's really hot out, but to each his own. Wear the most protective clothing you can stand while still being comfortable. Over the ankle boots with oil proof soles and jeans at minimum.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 AM
towboattrash34
Banned

ORIGINAL: Flying Pilgrim

ORIGINAL: dwilzen1

Clean underwear!

I shake my head when I see a rider wearing full leather gear when it's really hot out, but to each his own. Wear the most protective clothing you can stand while still being comfortable. Over the ankle boots with oil proof soles and jeans at minimum.
most real sport bikers wear full leather suits in any temp..... my self jeans/good zip up boots/half helmet and fingerless gloves

Old 06-03-2008, 04:01 AM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

I could see it if you are an aggressive sport rider on a croch rocket, really pushing it in the corners, knees next to the pavement, since it is more likely you could slip out of it in a turn. For most of us on cruisers, we don't push to that extent. For the really safety conscious, you can get some armoured jackets etc, too. It's all about what you feel safe and comfortable wearing.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 AM
Jerseytwin
Tourer

+1 fallin' ain't no joke, eliminate as much risk as possible. people who ride in shorts and Chuck Taylor's are just naive Bro.

ORIGINAL: evilmonkey

Okay, nuff with the funny stuff. Wear what you want but remember this, if you fall down is it going to help protect you. Walk out to the street bend over and rub your hand on the pavement and imagine your self sliding along on your side or back on that at 30 mph or 60 mph and then decide what your going to wear. Don't go overboard just be aware that leather is better than a t shirt and shorts.
I ride in a T shirt, leathervest, levis and boots, comfortable set of gloves and a half shell helmet. Then Wear a leather jacket and chaps when it gets colder! Good set of boots that won't come off if I fall. And I have been down and pavement rash sucks big time and picking out all the little rocks out of your skin isn't fun either.
Wear what you feel like, Its all about you and the ride. If you want to wear a thong as mentioned above go ahead nobody else's opinion counts or should matter. They make some nice stuff now in kevlar thats even better than leather.
Stay Safe and enjoy the ride!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:58 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree, shorts are probably the most "no-no" Attire there is. Have I ever,, I won't lie,,, just last Sunday I had to run to Lowes for something I was doing around the house, I looked at the F-350 PSD,,and my HD,, and jumped on the HD to run there. It was only about 4 miles, each way. But I was VERY aware of how I was dressed. (I didn't think I could EVER be more of a defensive rider than I normally am!)
I have not had it, But I have know a couple that went down and had MAJOR ROAD rash on there backs,hips, ****, and upper legs. It takes a long time to heal, scars pretty good, and MUST HURT like a biotch! [:@]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what do you wear riding?