Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying '94 Fatboy, Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
bry593
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying '94 Fatboy, Need advice

might buy a red, '94 fatboy with 16k this weekend. all original down to pipes, but has shield, bags, backrest. supposedly in "pristine" condition but needs tires (cracked from being old). this would be my first harley and i don't know much about them (i've owned lots of bikes tho).

what are common problmems for this bike? how much is it worth? what tires should i buy?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
bdejong11129
Cruiser
Default RE: Buying '94 Fatboy, Need advice

Whats the asking price???

Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 PM
bry593
Stage IV

he's asking $8500

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For 8500 I would want good rubber. That is low miles for a 94 though. I don't know of any problems with Fatboys, except for rainy days days that are too cold. Everybody seems to like the Metzler tires, I have Dunlops but will probably try the Metzlers next time. Change out your oils to Amsoil and put a Big Sucker on it and ride the hell out of it, good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:21 AM
younggeezer
Advanced

I'd have to agree with Dixie,&nbsp\\; a set of tires would not be asking too much for the price.&nbsp\\; I still run Dunlops, just not the Harley tires, you can order them your self at http://www.ridedirect.com//&nbsp\\;quite&nbsp\\;a bit cheaper, then have them put on if you can't get the seller to spring for them.&nbsp\\; I also agree with the Amsoil,&nbsp\\;also, get you a K&amp\\;N filter if it doesn't have one, you'll be $$$ ahead in the long run.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 AM
rhinoevans
Tourer

Here are some numbers to negoitate with from NADA.&nbsp\\; This is for a 1995.&nbsp\\; Low milage and good condition is definetly worth more, however, if financing, this is what your bank will be looking at.
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\ ; Low Retail
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\ \;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Average Retail

&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
$4,690
&nbsp\\;
$6,170
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM
mjmangus
Tourer

My son has a 94 softail custom and rides it like he stole it and I have a 91 fxr police.&nbsp\\; The engines are refered to as the Evo and are pretty bullet proof.&nbsp\\; If its been well maintained then go for it.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
bry593
Stage IV

hey, thanks!

i'll see if he'll give me a couple hundred allowance for the tires.&nbsp\\;i've heard the metz are good tires, but last time i tried to buy them they were sold out for months (this was for a honda sabre though).
&nbsp\\;
about the k&amp\\;n filter.&nbsp\\;does it make that much difference, gas mileage/power?&nbsp\\;will it lean out the carbs and/or require a jet kit?

i kinda knew the evo motor was a good one, just wasn't sure about electrical, suspension, etc.&nbsp\\;i used to work with a girl that had 55k miles on her fatboy before it needed a rebuild.
&nbsp\\;
amsoil, what weight?&nbsp\\; i use rotella t 5w40 synthetic in the honda.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

good deal, offer him $8K and get your own tires. METZELERS!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think you will have to rejet just from changing the AC, if youchange the exhaust you might. I am not a mechanic by any means, but there are a lot of people on this forum that can answer your questions.

Quick Reply: Buying '94 Fatboy, Need advice